Marty Ross's Reviews > The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

The Lost City of Z by David Grann

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: history, biography
Read from September 17 to October 05, 2011

This was a pretty great book, though it dragged a bit in the 4th 5th of the book (is that a real term?). Learning about the development of the Amazon Basin certainly alleviated white-man's guilt for the American West. It was certainly shocking to learn of the conditions of the aboriginal South Americans under a system so far removed from any centralized authority. Genocide, slavery, no regard for anything, but the product for export.
The other shock was to learn of the diseases and parasites inhabiting the jungle. The descriptions are graphic and make me pretty damn wary of journeying into the unknown. Never in my reading life have I come closer to vomitting. Yes, it was that bad. And I consider myself having a strong stomach.
As I said, it gets a bit slow toward the end, but has a nice ending that brings the story to a close satisfactorily. I recommend this to all the Indy fans out there. Not cars. Adventure. That Indy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost City of Z.