Sean W.'s Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

M 50x66
Mar 03, 12

I can't believe I waited so long (5 years, in fact) to read such a phenomenal novel. I loved Selznick's Wonderstruck when I read it last year, but this earlier work of his is at least fifteen times more dazzling.

I started Hugo Cabret at 9:28 last night, and after getting tired, I pledged to stop for the night when I finished Part One. The ending to Part One left me hanging so much that despite it being about 9:55, I decided to finish the book. I took me about fifty-two minutes, with the abundant pictures, minimal text, and fascinating story.

Being a film buff, I especially loved the placement of Georges Méliès as a significant character, and the recurring references to his 1902 silent film La Voyage dans la Lune (in English: A Trip to the Moon). Now I'm dying to see how a brilliant man such as Martin Scorsese transformed this into a recent film starring Ben Kingsley from Schindler's List and Gandhi.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

jmjester You will love the movie. Go see it in the theaters if you still can. It is fabulous!

Sean W. I actually just saw the movie yesterday (on DVD). I didn't like it as much as I wanted to, and I thought Sacha Baron Cohen's portrayal of the station inspector was an absolute debacle, but I still thought it was pretty good.

jmjester Actually, I didn't like him either, but the rest of it was so good, I overlooked it.

Sean W. jmjester wrote: "Actually, I didn't like him either, but the rest of it was so good, I overlooked it."

Here is my review of the film if you would like to read it: