Melissa Roach's Reviews > A Place Called Blessing: Where Hurting Ends and Love Begins

A Place Called Blessing by John Trent

Sep 22, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Five-year-old Josh and his two older brothers lose their parents in a drunk-driving accident. A series of foster homes and a shocking tragedy eventually separate them, leaving Josh alone, angry, and distrustful of most everyone. At age eighteen, Josh strikes out on his own to find work. With only a high school education and few life skills, he is one step away from homelessness when Providence brings him to a place where he finds much more than physical shelter. For the first time in his life, Josh receives unconditional love and something every human being craves, the gift of "the blessing."

The book includes an introduction and reader’s guide designed to identify and discuss the five elements of the biblical blessing that every person needs. Through the power of Josh's story, readers are shown how to give this gift to their children and others as outlined in the more than one million copy bestseller, The Blessing.

About the Authors
Dr. John Trent is president of StrongFamilies.com and founder of The Institute for the Blessing at Barclay College. John is a sought-after speaker and an award-winning author of more than twenty books, including six books for children. He has been a featured guest on numerous radio and television programs across the country and leads The Blessing Challenge, a joint partnership with Focus on the Family and StrongFamilies.com. John and his wife, Cindy, have been married for more than thirty years and have two grown daughters, Kari and Laura.

Annette Smith is a novelist, nurse, and a master storyteller. Her first book of short stories, The Whispers of Angels, sold more than 100,000 copies. Annette has written four additional volumes of original short stories, two parenting books, and five novels, all set in small towns. Her fourth novel, A Bigger Life, was named by Library Journal as one of the best novels of 2007 and was a finalist in the American Christian Fiction Book Awards.

A life-long Texan, Annette lives in Tyler, Texas with Randy, her husband of thirty-one years, and an affectionate, shaggy mutt named Wally. Annette has worked as a registered nurse in a variety of settings. Her current home-hospice position gives her a unique position in the lives of relative strangers, and she often finds herself bearing solitary witness to intimate, behind-the-scenes situations full of grace and meaning.

My Thoughts
Imagine being five years old and being told your parents are never coming back. For Josh and his brothers that's just what happened.

While his parents weren't the best, they liked to drink and left the boys to their own devices while they partied. A very sad, but true way of life for many children; and they were all the boys knew. The three boys wind up in a foster home, but an accident occurs and six year old Josh is labeled as unadoptable. His brothers find a home but he is left to grow up in an orphanage. As he matures into an adult he can't let go of his past and decides he doesn't need to rely on anyone, but when he rents a room from his co-workers mother he soon learns the true meaning of love and forgiveness in A Place Called Blessing.

This is one of those stories that is short enough to read in one sitting and I am so glad it was because once I started reading I didn't want to put it down. I had to know how things would work out for Josh. While the plot was sort of predictable I couldn't help but feel heartbroken when six year old Josh realized what he had done. It was easy to understand why he became a young man who wanted to keep to himself. It was nice to see the slow transformation of Josh after he moved in with Anna and Brian. There were a few twists at the end that I didn't see happening. If your looking for a story with a strong spiritual message that will bring you to tears, but one that will inspire and touch your heart as well, then you should give this one a try.

Dr. Trent ends the book with a group of questions meant to help us bless the hurting. He lists five ways to do that and then asks us to fill in answers to questions on how the story demonstrated his conclusions.

Both of the authors did an amazing job of capturing the attention of the reader while connecting your heart with Josh. This a wonderful story of second chances, forgiveness, and true blessing. I would highly recommend this book to anyone, ages young adult and up.

To learn more about this book, you can visit the publisher’s website, or purchase it for yourself on Amazon.com.

Thank You so much Booksneeze & Thomas Nelson for letting me review this book! I absolutely love being apart of your bloggers reading program Take care and I look forward to reading more books from you in the future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Place Called Blessing.