Rowan's Reviews > Welcome to Bordertown

Welcome to Bordertown by Ellen Kushner

5711993
Oct 04, 11

Read from September 22 to October 04, 2011

I loved the original Bordertown books. I read the original anthology, I read Will Shetterly's novels. I read the next anthologies. My only complaint was that they ended. Now there is a Bordertown anthology for the next generation!

The thirteen years since we last were able to read about Bordertown were thirteen years in the World but only thirteen days on the Border! So a new generation of runaways bring with them their cell phones and their modern culture. But the Border remains a tricksy place, neither magic nor science work quite as they might in the World or the Realm. There a familiar Bordertown authors (Emma Bull, Will Shetterley, Charles de Lint, etc) and some new faces (Holly Black, Cory Doctorow, etc). There is story and poetry and magic.

These books were one of the earliest shared worlds, one of the earliest creations in the genre that became urban fantasy. Bordertown is worth visiting and now worth re-visiting. I'm going to have to go re-read all the earlier ones now and I really do hope they come out in ebook soon as http://bordertownseries.com says they might!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to Bordertown.

09/22/2011
21.0% "I am totally loving this update on the Bordertown concept! Yay!!!!"
09/27/2011
43.0% "I loved the original Bordertown stories. I cannot express how utterly thrilled I am to be back in Bordertown. I hope it sells a lot of copies so there can be MOAR!"