Cindy's Reviews > Anne's House of Dreams

Anne's House of Dreams by L.M. Montgomery

Oct 12, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from September 06 to October 10, 2012, read count: Dozens, probably!

2011 - I just recently listened to the first several Anne books on CD, in what is becoming a yearly ritual. This has always been my absolute favorite of the series - even when I was a kid, oddly enough (in retrospect I have no idea why since it's much more of an adult book than the first ones). I love everything about this book - the setting, the characters (I need a Captain Jim in my life!), the story of Leslie and Dick Moore, the added depth of character Anne earns as a result of her trials in this book. When I was a teen my mom asked me why I thought that the central tragedy of this book happened - she said she didn't feel like it fit the series. But for me, it's always been part of the appeal. This, really, is Anne's coming-of-age book. This is where she experiences true heartbreak and deep sorrow. This story is especially poignant to me right now, when many things in my life parallel Anne's.

10/10/12 - I have been reading this off and on through the summer, dipping into it every now and then when I was tired of reading heavy review books. I finished it the other day and loved it just as much as always. This one never gets old for me.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne's House of Dreams.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan Years ago, when I was writing a paper about the Emily books, I ran across an idea that I found fascinating. It said that you can read the Anne books as two trilogies--Anne as a girl (books 1-3) and the WWI books (5, 7 & 8). The scholar (whose name I don't remember, of course) pointed to the fact that books 4 & 6 were written much later as a reason why they didn't fit with the trilogies concept. According to that scholar, The House of Dreams serves to remind readers of the world that was at stake (or perhaps, lost) with the war. What do you think of that idea? (Obviously, this is severely abridged!)

Cindy How interesting! I was under the impression that Montgomery wrote House of Dreams earlier, closer to when she wrote the first ones... but I could be totally wrong. I haven't read anything beyond 5 in a few years, since I've started listening to the ones that my library has on audiobook every year and they only have 1, 2, 3, and 5. Ha! But I was actually just thinking I want to read through the whole series again, probably this winter. I could sort of see that interpretation, although not 100% - because House of Dreams itself is a definite departure from the tone of the earlier books. It has real trial and heartache in it, and so has to me always had a much more mature tone. So I don't know if I see it as a representation of the world that would be lost - since in many ways, the idyllic innocence of Anne's childhood IS lost in this book. Does that make sense?

Cindy Nan, I love your comments on my reviews, by the way! They always get my brain pumping.

message 2: by Nan (last edited Sep 22, 2011 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan I no longer have my paperback copies of Montgomery (I bought them on my nook as replacements), so I had to look this info up on Wikipedia. (sadly, goodreads won't let me reprint the table very well--you can find better version here: )

book title publication Anne's age
5 Anne's House of Dreams 1917 25—27
6 Anne of Ingleside 1939 34—40
7 Rainbow Valley 1919 41
8 Rilla of Ingleside 1921 49—53

Books 4 and 6 were written much later, the other books were written all within a few years of each other.

I could be wrong about what the scholar thought about book 5; what I do remember is that he/she grouped it with the "war" books. If you recall at the end of Rainbow Valley, Walter has his premonition of the war. I think I need to find that article again. It's worth thinking about.

And I'm glad that you like my comments. :-)

Cindy Oh interesting - I had no idea that "Windy Poplars" was written so much later! I never liked that one as a kid, but grew to love it when I read it during my own long-distance engagement. I love how well this series has "grown" with me - I like different books so much more when I read them at certain points in my life....