Patrick McCoy's Reviews > Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor

Flannery by Brad Gooch

Sep 22, 11

liked it
bookshelves: criticism, non-fiction, biography-autobiography

Flannery O’Connor is one of my favorite American writers. Her short stories were part of my honors senior thesis on the grotesque in college. It seems that O’Connor has inspired many other people throughout the years, the author of Flannery, Brad Gooch, points out that Bruce Springsteen has claimed inspiration for Nebraska from O’Connor’s short stories and that Tommy Lee Jones and Conan O’Brien also wrote their senior thesis’ on O’Connor. I was surprised to learn that O’Connor had quite a wide range of literary friends like Robert Lowell, Elizabeth Hardwick, Walker Percy, and James Dickey. I was also surprised to learn that subsequent writers Alice Walker and Pete Dexter were from the same region if not town. I was also unaware of her deep faith and conviction in Catholicism. She had a deep interest in theology reflected by these interests. I found Gooch’s book well-written and researched, but I feel that he was a little sparse on literary analysis of the works of O’Connor, but that being said makes me want to go back and revisit her books and stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flannery.