Melinda Jane Harrison's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

SO TORN! But I love it anyway

I love Laini Taylor's writing! Just read it again.

This book is a mess, but it's a beautiful mess.

Laini Taylor's Lips Touched Three Times is one of my favorite books and you can see shadows of her third short story of that book in this story, with its old worlds, ancient histories, reincarnated lovers, and backstories thrown into the narrative. In the shorter form, that worked, it was focused and tight, but here, not so. The short story form was a perfect gem, this is a rough-cut diamond, yes a diamond for sure, but flawed. However I don't care. I just reread it again and it touched me so much. Laini Taylor is an auto-buy for me. I wanted to add that I liked it much better on the now fifth reading. This is probably due that I had such HIGH EXPECTATIONS on reading this book. I always like to write honest reviews and I just want to add that this is one of my favorite authors out there, period. Even if I feel this is a messy book, it does not mean I don't love it and highly recommend it. THERE!

I just reread it again and loved it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Quotes Melinda Jane Liked

Laini Taylor
“It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him.”
Laini Taylor, Daughter of Smoke & Bone

08/17 page 81
19.0% "This girl can write! O-M-G!"
08/22 page 81
19.0% "Actually, I am finished, but am going over notes and reading again. Pro and Cons. The first 56 pages are all in one day in the POV of Karou, mostly, there are POV slips that I did not like and thought were unnecessary."
08/23 page 415
100.0% "I don't know how to rate this book. It's a mess but a big beautiful mess. Laughing."
12/21 marked as: currently-reading
01/09 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

Ariel This is not usually my genre but I did really like this.

Melinda Jane Harrison I think I will like it, too, though it's not my usual genre either. I rather liked her Lips Touched Three Times, which was three short stories, all very good. Her prose is beautiful.

Melinda Jane Harrison I think she writes better short stories than novels.

Melinda Jane Harrison She is such an incredible writer. I mean that. I just read this book for the 4th time and though I do not like the structure, I do love the book.