Andi's Reviews > Mama Rock's Rules: Ten Lessons for Raising a Houseful of Successful Children

Mama Rock's Rules by Rose Rock

Apr 30, 08

Recommended to Andi by: Mother Talk
Recommended for: parents

She speaks directly with a forceful, confident voice. She presents ten sections in this book focusing on ten major principles that guided her and her husband Julius in the parenting of their children. The rules cover the whys and hows of setting boundaries, discipline, structure, respect, positive communication, routines and traditions, integrity, education, expectations, responsibility, inspiration and determination. I found her no-nonsense approach to be heartening and based on common sense.

I have to say that nothing in this book was a surprise to me, since I have been blessed with two parents that taught me all the same lessons. It's good to hear it all again, however, and laid out in a down to earth, comfortable style. You could imagine yourself sitting down in her kitchen listening to her wisdom while she brews you some coffee and dishes out cookies. Even if you came to realize that, yeah, maybe you do let the kids watch a little too much TV and you hate homework time yourself, she's right that those are important and worthwhile things to keep trying to improve on. Eating dinner together, feeding the kids and listening to them chatter about their days; those are the blessing times. It's worth all the clean up to take the time to teach them table manners and there is no substitute for family laughter.

Since this is an early reviewer's copy I noticed there are a few places where it could use a little more editing. Some of it is repetitive and some of her folksy talk is distracting to someone as "cut to the chase" as me. Others may enjoy it more but I tend to be impatient. I just want to know the bottom line: how did she raise all those fine Black men? Give me the code.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mama Rock's Rules.