Andrea's Reviews > Wicked Game

Wicked Game by Jeri Smith-Ready

May 25, 12

bookshelves: re-read
Read from October 05 to 07, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I don't know if it's fair to call this a review. Mainly it's me gushing about this book, the author and how happy and nostalgic they made me feel. But first, let me make a shocking announcement.

Guys and Girls, I am about to utter words that I thought would never cross my lips. I can't even believe I'm going to say it. Are you ready? Really ready? Here goes...

I have found a vampire that I love even more than Bones.

So who is this intriguing vamp who has stolen my heart? Shane McAllister from the WVMP Radio series by Jeri Smith-Ready. To those who know and love Bones, I know that sounds like crazy-talk. But only to those of you who haven't read the WVMP Radio series.

You may ask, why I have formed such a love for Shane. Well, Shane is perpetually stuck in the 1990s, and all that comes with it. As someone with a major weak spot for that era, that aspect of Shane definitely drew me in. Shane embodies the emotions of my early teen years. Something I suppose I've been missing without realizing. But, besides that aspect of Shane, he's sexy, seriously sweet, more than a little dangerous, but never, ever mean, and emotionally vulnerable. Did I say sexy? I think I did. Well, double it.

Jeri Smith-Ready created a unique, sexy and cool new breed of vampires. I've never come across a concept quite like this one. Vampires are basically stuck in the era they were created. The music and clothes, the manner of speaking all reflect that. The way the feed, the way they and the donor react, holy smokes, it made me get all hot and sweaty and creeped out and... well, I think you get the idea.

I can't even believe that I haven't mentioned the main character, Ciara, yet. Ciara has to be one of my favorite protagonists I've ever come across. She is tough, but does have a soft (but hard to reach) interior. She is smart, very smart, when it comes to the vampires. She doesn't let them run all over her, but she doesn't treat them like freaks either. She is an all-around badass and I love her.

On a side note, if there is one thing that rivals my love for a good book, that would be good music. And let me tell you, Jeri Smith-Ready knows good music. She wove it into the book, letting the music help tell the story. Wicked Game is almost as much about the music as the story. I bought at least ten songs off the Wicked Game playlist, songs featured in the book. If you love and appreciate awesome music, you will love this series.

I meant it when I said this was intended as a min-review. I just want to quickly and loudly tell you to read this series ASAP. But, like I tend to do in real life (just ask my husband), I got distracted. Distracted by my passion for the awesome. And that, in a not so tidy nutshell is what Wicked Game is. Pure awesomeness. I honestly can not recommend it more emphatically.

Favorite Quotes:

“As he presses me against the car and his fingers tangle in my hair, I find myself hoping-and fearing-that I'll never be the object of such a love, one that could bring a man to his knees and never let him stand again.”

“Parents, preachers, and politicians think rock music is the source of young people's despair. They don't understand it's just a reflection. They also forget that music can be a source of hope, a reason to live.”

“Shane closes his eyes and groans deep in his throat, a noise that embodies sex and death. His back arches, and his fingers rake the carpet as if to pull it up like grass.”
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Game.

Quotes Andrea Liked

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Daytimers. Sunnysides. What do you call us behind our backs?"
"Dinner."
This shuts me up until we reach my door.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Aw, he’s shy. How loveable, huggable, stuff-in-a-bag-and-take-home-able.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“I’m a morning person and a night person. So I have to be a nap person, or else I’m a tired person.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“My jaw drops to form a capital O, as in, O Holy Shit.”

Jeri Smith-Ready
“Ignorance is the world's most curable affliction.”

10/04/2011 page 100
26.0% "This book is ridiculously great! Shane!!!!"
10/06/2011 page 205
53.0% "I love every little piece of this book!!!"
03/24/2012 page 108
28.0% "One of my favorite books ever. Started re-reading b/c a friend is reading it. I can't stop."
03/25/2012 page 206
54.0% "Freaking LOVE this book!" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) Dude, I love JSR and her Shade series, but I don't know...it feels like saying that you love a vampire more than Bones is blasphemy. I definitely have to read this series now.

Andrea Jeannette (The Starry-Eyed Revue) wrote: "Dude, I love JSR and her Shade series, but I don't know...it feels like saying that you love a vampire more than Bones is blasphemy. I definitely have to read this series now."

Believe me, I'm not saying this lightly. I love Shane so stinking much! I hope you like it!

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) If your recommendation didn't seal the deal (and trust me, it did), the quotes you favorited would have. If I didn't have so many books that needed to be read YESTERDAY, I would be reading this RIGHT THE EFF NOW. :D

Andrea Jeannette (The Starry-Eyed Revue) wrote: "If your recommendation didn't seal the deal (and trust me, it did), the quotes you favorited would have. If I didn't have so many books that needed to be read YESTERDAY, I would be reading this RI..."

Jessica Hack is reading the series. She loves it! I can't wait to see what you think!

message 5: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren This book sounds fabulous! The whole "stuck in the era they were created" type of vampire sounds so refreshing. There's hundreds of vamp books out there that suffer from repeating well-told stories and plots but I love that this one is new and surprising. To be honest if I had just randomly came across this book I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance but your review has definitely perked my interest. So thanks for making me add yet ANOTHER book to my large tbr list :P

Andrea Lauren wrote: "This book sounds fabulous! The whole "stuck in the era they were created" type of vampire sounds so refreshing. There's hundreds of vamp books out there that suffer from repeating well-told stories..."

Hee!This is my favorite adult series. I have badgered everyone I know about reading them.