Victoria (vikz writes)'s Reviews > Snowdrops

Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: booker-prize-short-list
Read from September 22 to 23, 2011

This the last book from the booker short list and it left me cold. I could see that it had merit. But, it did little to move me. It covers a westerners view of modern day Russia. I could see that the main character was having a rough time but did not care for him. The other characters seem to be stereotypes; the corrupt, party oligarch come tycoon and the gold digging Russian women. I know these people exist but there must be more to them than this. Russia itself comes across as a stereotype, full of corruption and stupid western business.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowdrops.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Red (last edited Sep 26, 2011 08:49AM) (new)

Red Haircrow Exactly as you said, "I know these people exist but there must be more to them than this..." and I fully agree that all too often Russians get painted with a stereotypical brush. They exist, to be sure, but there are so many facets that can be subtly interwoven to balance a work.

In fact, National Geographic once published a letter a wrote them when even one of their non-fiction travel writers had travelled thousands of miles across Russia yet the main thing they chose to focus on was the corrupt tycoons and gold digging women.

I rather preferred Siberian Light by Robin White, in that it is a mystery with some of the same elements.

My take: "The details of Russian interaction and life, the self-deprecating humor, and pragatism which occasionally borders fatalism all wrapped together with a fierce sense of self is what I greatly loved about this book. The author set the tone so exactly to what I observed, it was like being back in Russia again."