Leah Beecher's Reviews > The Messenger of Magnolia Street: A Novel

The Messenger of Magnolia Street by River Jordan

Oct 02, 11

Read from September 22 to October 01, 2011

This was a very good book. A different type for me. Its hard to pigeonhole it into a specific type of genre. One review quoted it as type of "Harper Lee and Dean Koontz" collaboration. In my opinion this fictitious story about a small Southern town, slowly being taken over by an unknown evil force, read like an allegory. A very well-written, lyrical, Southern-charm, story-telling, type of allegory.
The town of Shibboleth is slowly fading away. Light is being sucked away, and the good people of the town are not even aware of it. They have forgotten their purpose, forgotten their story. In this tale the central characters are three life-long friends. Two brothers, and a special young woman, of mysterious beginnings, who has special gift; loved by all. I loved these three characters. It's such a wonderful telling of brotherly bonds, and childhood friends turning to love. I loved the supporting cast of characters, all involved in the unfolding plot of good verses evil. This story is told by The Recorder, an angel. It was like Frank Peritti's This Present Darkness, but better written. It attempts to show the reader the closeness and involvement of God in an unusually way, like Paul Young's The Shack, but without the deliberate "shock value" and "dumb-ing down" of God, that I so disliked in The Shack.
Not overly "preachy". More symbolic. Think C.S. Lewis.
I found this story very applicable to the slow fade of the American modern Church, and at the same time an exciting and encouraging read. Followers of the True God, need to be courageous, loving and forgiving to those around us, sticking fast to remembering what God has done in the past, and looking forward to the promise we have in Him, despite the reality of the darkness, and lies, and sin we find ourselves swimming in today.
Five stars, getting more of River Jordan's books, most certainly.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Messenger of Magnolia Street.