Chrissy's Reviews > Gone with the Wind, Part 2 of 2

Gone with the Wind, Part 2 of 2 by Margaret Mitchell

Apr 30, 08

Recommended to Chrissy by: My teacher Ms. Madhi
Recommended for: anyone who wants to learn about the South's perspective of the Civil War

Character Analysis: Mammy

Short & chubby, with a voice like thunder, when she talks; everyone listens. I guess you think that the woman is a white Southern belle, but you’re wrong. Mammy is the house servant for the O’Hara and Butler family. It’s not mention in the film of her correct age but Mammy was about in her mid- forties during the Civil War.
As a character, Mammy’s personality can best be described as ignorant and outspoken. When first seeing Mammy in the second scene, she’s calling other Caucasians “white trash” to Scarlett and her mother. This shows how outspoken she is for a house servant of African decent. To call someone “white trash” is a racist slur that is counted as very ignorant. This character is also caring at all times. She looks out for the O’Hara and Butler family by tending to the children and helping the family with their personal problems. The viewers may like Mammy because she so compassion addition to her occupation, but on the hand the viewers may also not like Mammy because she is shown at times a racist African American.
My character is introduced in the second scene, helping the O’Hara ladies prepare for the get- together at the Twelve Oaks plantation. During the movie, Mammy is going through the changes from the Antebellum to the Reconstruction. Yes, she stayed a house servant during the whole movie but her place of residence changed. Nothing really happened to Mammy in “Gone with the Wind”, but she was treated more like a human during the Reconstruction period.
In this movie my character plays the part of a supporter of the South’s perspective of the war. Mammy symbolizes the beliefs of the South. The beliefs are that African American in the southern states enjoys working for Caucasian people without getting paid and this also stereotypical. My character helps create an understanding of the history of the Civil War by showing that the southern blacks didn’t want to be free and just stay where they are.

Theme Analysis: Gender/ Role of Women

Unlike any war prior, women had a lot to do with the Civil War from being in the house supporting their husbands to being on the line their selves. Women in had to stay home and take on the duties their husbands left behind. After the war, he women in the south had to do the work of the slaves now that they are free. Some women saw this war an opportunity to be leaders in abolition and equality.
As the first scene plays out, you see two men trying to win Scarlett’s love; this shows how women used their whit to charm men. Another scene is when Scarlett is left to take care of her family during the war. She has to take care of a sickly woman, a baby and a house servant. This shows the courage that this woman had to get through the war safely, taking the will power of a man. My character Mammy takes the white women job while the white men are taking the men jobs. Mammy had to watch the kids, clean the house and cook for everyone.
In the film the role of the women is portrayed as house wives and land workers. In history we learn about women being spies and even dressing up like men to be a soldier. In class we learned about the North’s perspective of the Civil War; their feelings toward the cause. Also in our readings about Reconstruction, we hear the good things the North did to support their opinions of slavery. In the film it’s shown the Southern perspective of the Civil War and Reconstruction. “Gone with the Wind”, shown that the blacks like to work for no pay and how bad the North was by invading the South.
In the textbook, I learned more about the role of women in the war then the film. It was popular for women back then to be a house wife and take the children. The historical understanding is that women were supposed to be seen and not heard but that’s not how the women felt. They wanted their equality and they want it right then!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind, Part 2 of 2.