Andrea's Reviews > The Goose Girl

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

Apr 30, 2008

bookshelves: favorites
Read in May, 2008

Ok, seriously I need to stop reading for a while and be a better mother and wife. I could not put this book down! It was such a cute fairytale. Something I love about how Shannon Hale writes is that the conversations between people are so real. In a lot of books (and movies), even books that I really like I find myself thinking a lot "People don't really talk like this". I loved how Ani changed and matured through her experiences. I'm so excited to read the next one. I really liked Enna, so I'm glad the next book is about her. I should probably go clean my house first or it'll never get done!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goose Girl.

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Oh, I love these books!!! I liked the first a little better, but only because I felt really hot the whole time I was reading Enna Burning....you'll understand. Anyway, I absolutely love Ani!

Someone told me there is a third book in this series that I had no idea about....I'll have to read them all again and add the third one....they are wonderful.

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie Yep, the third one is River Secrets and it's great. Razo is the main character but the friends are all there. She's working on the fourth one right now.

Andrea I'm seeing what you mean about feeling hot. "Enna Burning" is a really literal title.

Robyn I loved reading your review because I know exactly what you mean... I get into a good book (like this one) and all I want to do in the whole wide world is read. But I read a study recently that said that the greatest thing you can do to ensure that your children will enjoy reading... even more important than reading aloud to them (which is a must do of course) is for them to see you reading. So with that justification, happy reading. Ummm, Enna Burning is good... but River Secrets is better. Also you're going to love the Book of a Thousand Days, just fabulous.

Andrea WELL THEN! My kids are going to LOOOOOVE reading! Ha ha, more like they're going to resent me because I ignored them through their whole childhood! I'm loving Shannon Hale. I can't wait to read everything she has out there. My mom isn't a fan of fantasy but I'm getting her Goose Girl. She'll love it.

Monae Goose Girl still remains one of my favorite books that I have read in the last five years. I love Shannon Hale's lyrical writing style, and I liked that I didn't think you could predict exactly what was going to happen in this book. A great story that would make great oral literature to tell to children.

Kathy * Bookworm Nation Hi. I came across your profile when I was looking at Kim's. Goose Girl is one of my favorites! Another book that is similar fairy-tale like is The Seer and the Sword, if you liked Goose Girl you would probably like Seer.

Sorry, if you're like me you are always looking for something good and worthwhile to read so I thought I'd make the suggestion...

Andrea Thanks so much! I'm always looking for the next good book. Who is the author?

message 9: by di (new) - rated it 4 stars

di classic--"I need to stop reading for a while and be a better mother and wife"--I feel exactly the same! haha :)

loved this one too!