Julie's Reviews > Biting Cold

Aug 28, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in August, 2012

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Biting Cold is the sixth book in Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires series and I have not been shy about saying that this was a “last chance for this series” read for me. You see, back at the very end of book four, the author did something to a pretty important character that some called gusty and some called stupid. I was feeling some of column A and some of column B but leaning a bit more towards B. I was shocked and a little disappointed; even though I just knew that eventually all would be fixed. This turn of events that the author introduced in book four made some people stop reading the series all together – that’s how serious it was. I decided that I would give it another chance and read book five.

Well, book five did indeed fix things but it just wasn’t a strong enough book to really make me get over my discontent, but at the same time it wasn’t horrid enough that it made me think I was done with this series. So I figured I would give the series one more chance to make me fall for the series again. I mean, the first three books are on my favorite list and I adore the main heroine, Merit. I hate the idea of not reading about her ever again but I also am not a fan of constantly feeling frustrated or let down while reading a Chicagoland Vampires book. So that brings us to here and now: I have read the sixth book. Were there parts that frustrated me? Yup. But did I enjoy the book more than it pissered me off? Yes. Very much so.

I love Merit. I always have liked her character; she is impeccably written. She is strong, smart, sassy, loyal and incredibly human – even though she is a vampire. She is going through some pretty difficult stuff in this book and she handles it really well. She is the sort of character you would totally want to hang out with and she’s the sort of character you cheer on in every installment. She has grown so much in this series, going from a resentful and slightly lost girl to a strong and kick ass woman. Seriously, she is amazing.

Ethan. Ethan is also a good character…but he’s an idiot and the cause of my ‘major frustration’ moment with this book. He is strong, he is sexy, he is intelligent and the scene where he speaks to the members of his House was amazing. He is great at his job – an amazing leader. It’s just too bad he’s a boob sometimes.

In the previous book we find out that Mallory, Merit’s BFF, has been dabbling in places where she really shouldn’t have been dabbling. We know that this book will be the continuation of that story line but it wasn’t all that this book was about. I was very happy for that because I felt that if Mallory took up too much of the book then Merit might fall into ‘woe is me my BFF is a bit nuts at the moment’ territory and I just didn’t want to see her character diminished to that. Heck, she didn’t even go there in the last book and she totally could have. I think Chloe did a great job keeping that plot line under control, giving readers just enough to add drama but not enough to aggravate.

Where the story ended up going surprised me but in a good way. A character that was seen as evil in past books is finally explained and he turns out being very compelling. I wouldn’t mind seeing him again in future books.

Now let’s vent chat about the part of the story that made me question my giving this book a try. My Goodreads friends were witness to my reaction to this part of the book when I used my status update to vent a little bit. My exact quote was: “Really Ethan? AGAIN?! This is no longer fun. I am officially p*ssed off now…” The reason why this particular turn of events in this book brought out such a strong reaction is that we have seen this exact thing before in this series. Watching Ethan and Merit’s ‘not-really-on-again-not-really-off-again’ relationship was fun in the first three books then…not. By book six, you would think that these two would figure out where the hell they are going to end up. Either get together or don’t – it’s that simple. It’s not fair to your readers to string them along for books and books only to see the hero push the heroine away AGAIN, using some asinine excuse similar to one he’s used before. Suck it up dude because you are now the type of man women want to throw off a cliff. Twice. It’s not fun to read these parts of the story anymore when sh*t like that keeps happening. Yes, I understand that the six books take place over less than a year but still, think of your devoted readers. There is a difference between bringing passion out from your readers and P*ssing them off. When I wrote my status update on Goodreads, I got comments on a few pages linked to that book, tweets from frustrated readers and emails agreeing with me. Yes, (tiny spoiler but not really here) things seem to be going onto the right track by the end of the book but no one truly trusts that this is it this time because it has happened so many times before, then Ethan becomes a boob and it all goes to sh*t. I am giving the author a chance to prove to us that the Merit/Ethan ping-pong game is now over. I don’t mean make things all roses and gumdrops for them: I just mean to please let them have an adult relationship from now on because they are, you know, grownups! If we wanted to read about high school drama, we would read YA. Believe it or not though, even though this scene and the few after it did cause me to be majorly ticked off, I did find the parts around it to be very well done, drawing me into the story and making me want to know what would happen next.

So, did Biting Cold save the series for me? Mostly yes. I was leaning towards giving this book 5 stars until the ‘kerfuffle’ occurred and I will definitely be reading the next book, House Rules, releasing February 5th 2013. I would like to think that Ethan is over his head being shoved up his a** and I really do like Chloe’s writing voice and Merit. I am about 80% back to rediscovering my love for this series. Hopefully the next book will bring it back to 100%.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Biting Cold.

08/21/2012 page 158
47.0% "Really Ethan? AGAIN?! This is no longer fun. I am officially p*ssed off now..." 22 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dawn I had the same reaction. The on again off again makes me want to stop reading the books.

Julie Dawn wrote: "I had the same reaction. The on again off again makes me want to stop reading the books."

It is tiresome. VERY tiresome.

Ashley Totally agree! I would actually almost rather see Merit with Jonah at this point because at least it would be something new instead of the same old crap that happens with Ethan in EVERY book.

Julie Ashley wrote: "Totally agree! I would actually almost rather see Merit with Jonah at this point because at least it would be something new instead of the same old crap that happens with Ethan in EVERY book."

Yes! At least she and Jonah were looking like a 'mature' relationship lol

Mell Amen, sister! Here's to the next book not making us want to strangle Ethan (for once)!

Julie Mell wrote: "Amen, sister! Here's to the next book not making us want to strangle Ethan (for once)!"

I'll drink to that! ;)

Mithrendiel Fantastic review, Julie! You eloquently summed up everything that frustrated me with the Ethan + Merit debacle. :)

Julie Mithrendiel wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! You eloquently summed up everything that frustrated me with the Ethan + Merit debacle. :)"

Thank you. I was worried I was a little too rant-ish but the amazing lady I asked to proof it for me said it was good. :)

Mithrendiel LOL ranting is fun! To write and to read...

So rant away! :)

Julie Mithrendiel wrote: "LOL ranting is fun! To write and to read...

So rant away! :)"

LOL But there is a right / not so annoying way of doing it. It's a fine line. ;)

Mithrendiel In all honesty, I could never see you crossing that line though. Your reviews are always very gentle and even kind - even for books that you probably loathed. I know we've talked about this before - but you never give a book less than 2 stars, right?

See... you are too nice! LOL you want to see bad ranting, look at my review of Flesh and Blood.

Julie I will go read that one... I would give one star to a DNF that I read a bit of but just found dumb. Luckily, I have yet to really have one of those. And the couple that I did, I just didn't even feel like writing a review. It takes me a long time to write a review and I didn't want to waste my energy lol.

Oh wait, I just checked my blog. I have one 1star review on my blog. And it was all me not clicking with the book. That's why I posted about that one.

Vanessa I have yet to read Biting Cold, I will in a few months. I've been a huge fan of this series, and yes the ending to book 4 shocked the hell out of me, even pissed me off. Yet, I kept on reading the series because of Merit. Book five, I felt bad only for Jonah and Ethan, with the ending being too rushed, in my opinion. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Biting Cold, your review gave me hope :)

message 14: by Mell (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mell finally posted my overall thoughts on the series!