Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > Speak

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, young-adult
Read in March, 2012

I was really torn about this book. The first half was terribly slow. Melinda is suffering from something but we don't find out what happened until about page 140. The first 140 pages are just basically Melinda moping around with only a whisper of what may have happened. She doesn't talk, she doesn't really have friends except for Heather from Ohio. And the only reason that Heather talks to her is because she just moved from Ohio and doesn't know that Melinda is sort of an outcast.

The second part of the book definitely picked up a lot more. Honestly at that point, I kind of got tied up in the idea that something was finally happening that it took me a bit to dive back into the story to finish it out. You finally get to find out what happened to Melinda and why she is acting the way that she does. She finally starts breaking through with her art, which becomes a way for her to break through everything that she's going through.

A couple things of note:

Anderson's writing is great and kept me reading even when I was getting fed up by the lack of action.

Also, this book would have been written when I was in high school and I was kind of startled how different high school was in the book from my own experience. It was kind of interesting.

Bottom line: the writing makes this worth the read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak.