James's Reviews > Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Moneyball by Michael Lewis

Oct 12, 11

Read from September 22 to October 12, 2011, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** While it is a book about a baseball team, it is not just about baseball or something for baseball aficionados. It is partly an underdog or "rags to riches" story, a morality tale, or a business or economics treatise touching on cost engineering. At times it is a stark assessment of culture and values of "America's past-time": Judging a baseball player's value based on having a "look" versus empirical statistics. Beane's repeated line of "We're not selling jeans" when debating with scouts and other managers on drafting a player is amusing, but also a sad reflection on the superficiality that baseball insiders thought was important in a player.

I really like Michael Lewis' writing style. He has the uncanny ability to make characters feel life-like, and even to make you feel like you are in the room at times. In addition to this book, I have also read some of Michael Lewis' other works, including the "The Big Short", his biopic on Wall Street traders whom were able to predict the collapse in the housing market, some four+ years before it occurred, and make bets which raked in millions, even billions. In writing this review now, I am recognizing a theme in some of Lewis' writing: finding people (frequently, eccentric ones) who were able to become hugely successful by being outliers and going against the grain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moneyball.