Patrick McCoy's Reviews > Eating the Dinosaur

Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: essays

Eating The Dinosaur is Chuck Klosterman’s latest book of essays on pop culture. There’s a lot to enjoy in the book, but I don’t think it’s as entertaining as some of his earlier books. It seems that (unlike the majority of his fans) I tend to find his sports essays among the most entertaining and thought provoking. In this book he takes on the disappointing untapped potential of Ralph Samson’s NBA career in “What We Talk About When We Talk About Ralph Sampson: Society's Reactions to Public Failures.” I also enjoyed his discussion of innovation in football in the essay, “Football: Liberal or Conservative?” I found his essay, “Something Instead of Nothing: Why do people answer questions? For who's sake? What does that say about us?” on the difficulties of interviewing and being interviewed interesting. This is mainly because I think he writes terrific profiles-like the classic one he did on Brittany Spears. He himself is also usually an engaging subject. “It Will Shock You How Much It Never Happened” is also pretty interesting in his discussion of advertising and Mad Men, my current favorite TV series. Some of his other musings on irony, canned laughter, and ABBA have their moments. But overall, it is not as strong as some of the earlier efforts, but a worthwhile read nonetheless. I’d say wait for the paperback edition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating the Dinosaur.