Lucinda Rose's Reviews > The Black Witch

The Black Witch by Micheal Rivers

Sep 22, 11

Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy

The world of independent books is full of sea wreaks, but Michael Rivers' book The Black Witch (Curse of the Black Witch) is definitely not one of them. A fan of old fashion high seas adventures, I gladly stepped abroad and wasn't disappointed.

As a child, I grew up on the shores where the Black Witch first casts spell upon Dorian Coe and Gale Ritchie, her new and soon doomed owners. Stories of ships were abundant growing up, but none were as captivating as this tale. It takes you back to the days when the Eastern Shore of the U.S. was filled with seafaring men prior WWII. Days when sailing ships were still prominent on water. The descriptions of the schooner and her workings allow the reader to join the crew. They aren't trite or superficial, instead they help transport one to the ship and even teach you.

Rivers brings you gently into the supernatural aspects of his novel. You first fall in love with the characters and their love for the Black Witch. Slowly as things abroad the schooner turn tragically wrong and it becomes clear that it isn't the result the two ego infused owners. That is where the true tale begins.

There are times when I did feel like I had been set adrift, lost in the dreams of the tormented, Rivers, however, eventually came to my rescue and I continued to the end. If only the crew of the Black Witch had been as lucky. To quote from one of my favorite lines from the book: "she holds you like a whore in the night, but she'll take your soul and not think twice."

You can purchase this book on Amazon and follow the author on Twitter .
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Witch.