Vincent's Reviews > The Phantom Tollbooth

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

May 03, 12

Read from March 23 to May 03, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom Tollbooth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine What prompted you to read this?

Vincent Besides the fact that "I do what I want"?
I had read it perhaps 20 or more years ago and recall it being a good book. I thought a quick rereading would test my memory.

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine That's kind of hilarious. I just saw this today. Yes, you do what you want...you little tyrant. Tim Main gave it to me to read to the kids. I never did it, but honestly, Main had great taste in books (at least in my opinion). I'm reading With God in Russia. Just started it today and am through Chapter one (this is a lot of reading for me in an evening). I love it so far, but I usually like those hard traumatic stories that come out with enduring and strong faith. It gives me hope...well, not the traumatic incident...oh for the love, you get what I mean.

Vincent I like the concept of this book, but it gives me the sense of being in a living nightmare. Should the subconsciousness really be stripped naked so? Maybe it's just that I relate so strongly with Tolkien in his hatred for allegory.