Yla Delarosa's Reviews > Will You Be There?

Will You Be There? by Guillaume Musso

Sep 21, 11

Read in July, 2011

Introduction: I was going through a number of books at the library when this tiny treasure caught my eyes. Well, the title and the subtitle fairly intrigued me (since I always loved these kinds of stories anyway), but I guess this is a story that will always make me wonder what the ending would be. Anyway, I’m sure most of us must have asked ourselves this question atleast once in our lifetime: if you could go back in time, what would you change?

Overview: Elliott Cooper is a sixty-year-old famous sur­geon whose life revolves around his twenty-year-old daughter, Angie. He would have been per­fectly happy if Ilena, the woman he was pas­sion­ately in love with, hadn’t died thirty years ago.
One day, he was given a chance to go back to his own past and meets the young man he had been thirty years ear­lier. In that time, where the Seventies were going full swing, the young Elliott was a pas­sionate, enthu­si­astic and ambi­tious young doctor who had no idea of the tragedy that he will cause the woman he loves.

Since then, the two Elliotts weirdly face each other, in a series of intense circumstances, debating and coming up with an agreement of saving Ilena. But saving Ilena raises complications involving his daughter, Angie and his lifelong friendship with his best friend, Matt. Not to mention the toll its adding to his fight for his own life – where he is suffering from lung cancer and with only few months to live.

My opinion: This book will make us believe in second chances, but will also raise a question – will you really dare to change something in your past? I think this book will appeal to those who have loved and lost, and wished for a chance to do things differently. Its an intriguing story about love, friendship, hope and destiny. Love – that transcends death, and the sacrifices we are willing to make, even the hardest one which is letting go. Friendship – that most of us are blessed with to have someone we can trust with our lives. Hope – that we will be able to change things for the better. And if not, that everything happens for a reason. And Destiny - that we do make our own destiny. But to change it after its done? I guess this book will give us that chance to go through it and later ask ourselves, what are you willing to give up to change fate?

Although I hate to say that the conversation seems flat at times, but I still applaud how the time differences of being in the past and in the future were established strongly. And the best thing that I love in this book… are the quotes at the start of each chapter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Will You Be There?.