Pamela's Reviews > Succubus on Top

Succubus on Top by Richelle Mead

Jun 03, 08

bookshelves: fiction, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy
Recommended for: urban fantasy fans
Read in June, 2008

Wow. I really liked the first book in this series, Succubus Blues, but I didn't expect this one to exceed the first. Succubus On Top is great. It's funny, it's sexy, it's a good mystery, the characters are very likable... I can't praise this book enough.

We first met Georgina Kincaid, a succubus living in Seattle, in Succubus Blues. Aside from being a temptress employed by Hell, Georgie is an assistant manager at a local bookstore. In this book, she meets up with a very old friend, an incubus she tutored in the ways of seduction a few centuries ago, and she has to figure out what kind of strange drug that's messing up her mortal friends' lives.

I think it's the cast of characters that keeps me hooked on Richelle Mead's books. Georgina is beautifully created; she's interesting, funny, and realistically flawed. Her fellow employees of the dark are fantastic supporting characters, from Cody and Peter, the cheerful vampires, to her archdemon boss, Jerome, who looks strangely like John Cusack. I'm really fascinated by Carter, the angel who is, strangely enough, Jerome's best friend. Aside from the fact that he's an angel who could double as a grunge kid, there's just so much under the surface.

And then there's Seth, Georgina's mortal, novelist boyfriend. I'm really not fond of novel boyfriends who are just so perfect, but Seth... I want Seth for myself. He's incredibly smart, creative, witty... I really love the tension that Mead sets up between Georgie and Seth. As a succubus, Georgina can't have sex with or even kiss Seth deeply without sucking away his life energy. I get the feeling this series of books is going to deal a LOT with how they can maintain their relationship while resisting the urge to jump each other's bones.

The mystery itself is pretty good, better than the first. The ending feels a bit rushed, but that's forgivable. Now... to figure out how I'm going to make it to October 2008, when the next book comes out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Succubus on Top.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Anita I loved this book too! I've already ordered the next one from Amazon and will be reading it over maternity leave.