Maxine's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile

Fables, Vol. 1 by Bill Willingham

5208303
Sep 21, 11

Read in September, 2011

Graphic novels are still often dismissed as just thicker comics to be read only by pimply-faced male adolescents who will probably never lose their virginity And that's a shame (the attitudes not the virginity) because graphic novels, at their finest, are not only beautiful to look at but are written by some of the best writers around. Neil Gaiman's Sandman, for example, has been listed as one of the best novels of the 20th century and who can deny the brilliance of Maus, a story definitely not meant for kids.

So when I was in the library the other day and came across Fables, I was intrigued because, along with graphic novels, I have always loved fairy tales. In this wonderfully written and illustrated story, fairy tale characters have been forced out of their kingdoms and are living in exile in New York. When Rose Red goes missing, it is up to Bigby, real name, Big Bad Wolf, to find out what happened (when he is not being annoyed by a homeless pig). Among the suspects - Snow White, Blue Beard, and Jack of beanstalk fame.

This novel was loads of fun to read. Willingham portrays old characters in new and original ways and the illustrations are gorgeous. Fables definitely gets a huge 5 star recommendation from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 1.