Holli's Reviews > Tiger's Curse

Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

Sep 04, 13

bookshelves: favorites, i-own, destined-to-be-a-classic, epic-reads, highly-recommended, must-read-now, clean-romance, favorite-ya-authors, most-anticipated, paranormal, romance, high-action
Recommended for: Anyone with a love for romance and adventure
Read in July, 2011, read count: 4

If you are looking for a good YA paranormal romance series, look no further. SERIOUSLY. You will read, re-read, and then read some more ... until your entire life, lives, breaths, screams, TIGER, and your family threatens to have you committed. Just start collecting everything Tiger now, and save yourself some time. :)

Now that I've got that out of the way, lets start with the review.

Appearance...

The first thing I noticed when I spotted this book was the detail in the cover. I'm not a shallow woman, but I do admit that a pretty cover will catch my eye. I love that the cover is textured, and that when you turned it in the light, it picks up multiple colors. The way the design is blended gives it an almost smokey, or misted image, that is haunting.

Which makes it all the more appropriate, because this story sticks with you, long after your finished reading it. It will invade your dreams, your waking thoughts, until you find yourself drawing little hearts encircling the name, Ren.:)))

The second thing that impressed me was the weight of the book. Call me crazy, [If you've made it this far into my review, I'm sure your already questioning my sanity], but when your a dedicated reader, you love the feel of the book in your hands, the texture and smell of the pages. So when I picked up this book to take a peek at the content, I was more than impressed with how solid it felt in my hand.

Content, getting to the story line ...

Colleen Houck did a fantastic job, thinking through the world she created for this series. It is very apparent while reading, the dedication she put into the research supporting the plot. The amount of detail intricately woven into the story, made it easy to visualize what the characters were seeing. It was like sitting front row center of the ultimate movie. [without the stiff neck]. :) FANTASTIC!

The series is unique. We have seen many series based off Angels, Nephilum, Vampires, Werewolves, Fey, Mermaids, Shape shifters, Ghosts, Zombies, ...ext. However, this is the first series I have ever read based on Tigers. It was fresh and took me into uncharted territory.

I really learned a great deal while reading this book. It was laced with Indian culture, history, and religious practices, that were simulated beautifully. I felt like I was vacationing in foreign land while sitting in my living room. Kudos Colleen. You went above and beyond making this story believable to your readers!

I appreciate the balance between the history, action, and romance. It didn't matter which direction the book was taking, I continually found myself turning the pages needing to know what the outcome was. Once I started, I found it impossible to put down. Once I was finished, I found myself flipping back to the first page. I promise you, this will be a book you read multiple times!

The characters ....

Wow, where do I begin? ....
Kesley is the heroin of this book. She was well built, and I found it easy to connect with her. I appreciate her strength, and integrity in following through on her word. I also relate to her independent nature, and hesitance in allowing herself to be vulnerable enough to get hurt. Though there were times I was screaming at my book for choices she made, ... I appreciated the suspense it built, which was what kept me diving deeper and deeper into the story.

Mr. Kadam ... how awesome is he? In many ways, Mr. Kadam was Kelsey's rock. He was always there to teach, help, listen, and most of all, support her with the hard choices she faced. He loved her like she truly was his family. Not to mention his devotion to the Tiger brothers. His character is solid, and grounded. He is unwavering and has true integrity. Mr. Kadam is every little girls dream for a grandfather.

The brothers ... [insert dreamy smile here] :) Ren, oh Ren, how much I love thee! LOL Tall, dark, handsome, strong, genuine, dependable, determined, HANDSOME, ;) .... those eyes! Sigh* :) His character also has a high level of integrity that is swoon worthy. Ren is a man of his word! He surpasses all other Princes in whatever fairy tale happily ever afters you can muster up. You can not help but fall hopelessly in love with his character! Kishan ... whew! Kishan is also a man of his word, only he is more hands on. Kishan sees what he wants and he takes the front line. He is also as attractive as Ren, with the bad boy air tacked on. A guilty indulgence. Colleen did not go easy on her readers! :)

There is only one thing I can honestly say about Lokesh. I hope he gets swallowed whole by a dragon in Voyage. The end. :)

Overall .... This book is magical. It is full of action, adventure, true friendship, and a romance so breathtaking, you'll want to revisit it again and again. Have a box of tissues handy! Go get you a copy NOW! You won't regret a minute of it! :) FIVE STARS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiger's Curse.

Quotes Holli Liked

Colleen Houck
“His eyes drifted leisurely back up to my face and he smiled at me appreciatively, “Kelsey, when a man spends time with a beautiful woman, he needs to pace himself. I quirked my eyebrow at him and laughed. “Yeah, I’m a regular marathon alright.” He kissed my fingers. “Exactly. A wise man never sprints…in a marathon.”

Colleen Houck
“A girl can still admire, can’t she? Even those who can’t afford to go in the store can still window-shop. Right? Knowing he wasn’t for me didn’t mean I couldn’t covet the merchandise.”

Colleen Houck
“He then put both hands on the door on either side of my head and leaned in close, pinning me against it. I trembled like a downy rabbit caught in the clutches of a wolf. The wolf came closer. He bent his head and began nuzzling my cheek. The problem was…I wanted the wolf to devour me.”

Colleen Houck
“We looked at each other for a minute, not saying anything, but I could feel the air between us shift. It became thick, sultry, and tangible—like when the air changes right before a storm. I could feel its power envelop me as it brushed across my skin. Even though I couldn’t see it, I knew a storm was coming.”

Colleen Houck
“A quiet but indomitable voice behind me said, “I believe this is my dance.” It was him. I could feel his presence. The warmth of him seeped into my back, and I quivered all over like spring leaves in a warm breeze.”

Colleen Houck
“The fact is…I’m in love with you, and I have been for some time.”

Colleen Houck
“Why does everything so bad for you always taste so dreamy?”

Colleen Houck
“Just so you know, I hate camping. I'm not so much appreciating the fact that there's no bathroom out here. 'Nature calls' while walking in nature is on my list of least favorite things. You tigers, and men in general, have it so much easier than us girls.”

Colleen Houck
“Vampire sea horse monkeys? Are you serious?”

Colleen Houck
“Perfect! Now we're being chased by hoards of monkeys! Perhaps you would care to name their species as we're attacked, just so I can appreciate the special traits of said monkey as it kills me!"
"At least when the monkeys are harassing you, you dont have any time to harass me!”

Colleen Houck
“As a man, I instantly became aware of the gold in her hair, her height measured against mine, and how easily she'd fit in my arms. ~Ren”

Colleen Houck
“He seemed very pleased with himself for surviving a near-death experience. I could practically hear him chanting to himself: I overcame. I conquered. I’m a man etc etc.”

Colleen Houck
“He was like a drug and what did you do with drugs You pushed them as far away as possible.”

Colleen Houck
“Now turn around and go to sleep. I'm warning you that I plan to sleep with you in my arms all night long.”

Colleen Houck
“That was a pygmy marmoset by the way. Just in case you were wondering."

I wheezed. "Thank you oh Walking Monkey Dictionary.”

Colleen Houck
“You are my pearl without a price."
-Ren, Tiger's Curse”

Colleen Houck
“She answered with a passion I didn’t expect & I was lost. In that moment our hearts beat as one. In that moment I knew she loved me." #Ren”

Colleen Houck
“I wrapped the unyielding woman I loved in my arms & kissed her slowly, hoping that some part of her would sense my absolute devotion." #Ren”

Colleen Houck
“Thrilled with the knowledge that she loved me, it took me a moment to realize that she was angry. I found her tantrum irresistible." #Ren”
Colleen Houck, Tiger's Curse

Whitney This is an awesome review, Holli! I loved it. :) I might review the first two books myself! I'll have to collect my thoughts with those too lol. ;P

Holli I'm a big nerd. I often get diarrhea of the brain and spout out what is floating around in my head. :) I'm really not as unstable as I sound! Bwahahahahaaaaaa! :)

Whitney Holli wrote: "I'm a big nerd. I often get diarrhea of the brain and spout out what is floating around in my head. :) I'm really not as unstable as I sound! Bwahahahahaaaaaa! :)"

LMFAO! That's hilarious. I'd like to write longer reviews like this, but it seems like I just don't have it in me ROFL.

Paola AHAHAHA I <3 u lol your soo funny :o)

Holli I have to have some kind of outlet ladies! I really do have a sense of humor, but it's often lost in the chaos of running after four kids and buried beneath piles of laundry! :) Thats why I love all of you so much! I get my adult/young adult ;) conversation over mutual passions! Goodreads rocks!

Whitney Holli wrote: "I have to have some kind of outlet ladies! I really do have a sense of humor, but it's often lost in the chaos of running after four kids and buried beneath piles of laundry! :) Thats why I love..."

Indeed it does! I completely understand. Must be a workout with those kids! But I'm sure you love them deeply enough to over look their stinky undies! ;P

Oh. Maybe we can read Tiger's Voyage together now. :D Mine ships tomorrow, so I'm chomping at the bit to read it as fast as I can!

Paola :o)hehehehe

Amber i luv the way u explain ur reviews its kinda like ur inside my head because most of the time i feel the same way about a book but cant seem to put it into words then i see urs and the light bulb inside my head goes off..lol

Paola Amber I feel like that also when I see Holli's reviews there awesome

Holli Whitney wrote: "Holli wrote: "I have to have some kind of outlet ladies! I really do have a sense of humor, but it's often lost in the chaos of running after four kids and buried beneath piles of laundry! :) Th..."

That totally ROCKS! Even if I get it a couple days ahead of you, I'll hold onto it so that we can read it together! I'm so STOKED it's shipped already! Almost a month ahead of schedule! :)

Paola :o)

Holli Amber wrote: "i luv the way u explain ur reviews its kinda like ur inside my head because most of the time i feel the same way about a book but cant seem to put it into words then i see urs and the light bulb in..."

I don't know how to be anything but corky! LOL I tell it like I think it, and if I'm quite then I'm biting my tongue! :) Total Awesomesauce that we think aline! *Fist pound* :)

Holli Paola wrote: "Amber I feel like that also when I see Holli's reviews there awesome"

Girl, we've been on the same wave length for quite sometime now! I'm so glad Colleen's Tiger's FB page brought us together! I'm so thankful to have all of you to chat, laugh, and be crazy with! (Even if my husband thinks I need a shrink!) ;) Nah, ... if he thought that, it would mean he would need one too. He is twice as bad with his football, so I'm more than justified! LOL

Whitney Holli wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Holli wrote: "I have to have some kind of outlet ladies! I really do have a sense of humor, but it's often lost in the chaos of running after four kids and buried beneath piles of ..."

I know! I can't believe it either. You better count on that I'll be on that son of a gun like you wouldn't believe!

Paola LMAO this is just too funny. I Better get my copy soon lol

Holli Whitney wrote: "Holli wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Holli wrote: "I have to have some kind of outlet ladies! I really do have a sense of humor, but it's often lost in the chaos of running after four kids and buried ben..."

My daughter has already bet she would finish it before me, so we need to show her up! LOL

message 17: by Whitney (last edited Oct 06, 2011 06:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Whitney Holli wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Holli wrote: "Whitney wrote: "Holli wrote: "I have to have some kind of outlet ladies! I really do have a sense of humor, but it's often lost in the chaos of running after four kid..."

Hah! Tell her I bet I could beat all of you. ;P ROFL.

Paola My husband keeps saying more books lol. I'm like yes I need and thats final :oP

Whitney Paola wrote: "LMAO this is just too funny. I Better get my copy soon lol"

LOL. I'm sure you're enjoying this, Paola. ;)

Paola Ahhh I see how this is going everyone is doing a race without me lmao

Whitney Paola wrote: "My husband keeps saying more books lol. I'm like yes I need and thats final :oP"

Ohohohohohoooo!

Holli Paola wrote: "LMAO this is just too funny. I Better get my copy soon lol"

You should. Quite a few people have already shipped. Jen Herd's shipped also! I'm thinking there were so many pre-orders they had to start shipping them out in order to be caught up by the release date. Would makes sense but since when has anyone done what makes sense?

Holli Paola wrote: "My husband keeps saying more books lol. I'm like yes I need and thats final :oP"

Mine too! LMAO!

Whitney Holli wrote: "Paola wrote: "LMAO this is just too funny. I Better get my copy soon lol"

That's true. It's be better, and I'm not saying this because that I want it so. bad. Lol, but it keeps them from getting backed up.

Holli Paola wrote: "Ahhh I see how this is going everyone is doing a race without me lmao"

We need to get a whole group of us to read together. Like a book club reading for Tiger's Curse Series. Is there already one out there? XD

Paola lol you should see his face when he tells me its the funniest thing he looks all serious and then busts out laughing lol

Paola We need to get a whole group of us to read together. Like a book club reading for Tiger's Curse Series. Is th..."

I bet there is a club already but ours will be better lol :o)

Holli Paola wrote: "We need to get a whole group of us to read together. Like a book club reading for Tiger's Curse Series. Is th..."

I bet there is a club already but ours will be better lol :o)"

Of course! :)

Whitney Holli wrote: "Paola wrote: "Ahhh I see how this is going everyone is doing a race without me lmao"

Probably is lol! We could all post reviews and be like at the top: This is apart of the Secret Tiger's Voyage Group. Be warned. This is secret. Something like that LOL!

Paola Wow that sounds great :o) what do you think Holli?

Paola Have you guys seen the new book that came out called Eve? its a new series it will be a trilogy and it looks really good

Whitney Paola wrote: "Have you guys seen the new book that came out called Eve? its a new series it will be a trilogy and it looks really good"

I have! I really want to read that lol.

Holli Bwahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Whit that is epic! Can we seriously create one? I'm so up for it! No Paola, ... who is the author? I can always go for a couple more books on my shelf! LOLOLOLOL (Hiding the view of my computer screen from the hubster!) ;)

Paola LMAOOOO Holli Eve- By Anna Carey

Holli Gonna go check it out! Hold down the fort while I'm gone. ;)

Whitney Holli wrote: "Bwahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Whit that is epic! Can we seriously create one? I'm so up for it! No Paola, ... who is the author? I can always go for a couple more books on my shelf! LOLOLOLOL ..."

Hah, I'm sure we can! But there is a group for the whole series, and they're upcoming read is TV.. So.. What shall we do? :)

Whitney Holli wrote: "Gonna go check it out! Hold down the fort while I'm gone. ;)"

LMFAO.

*drops down anchor* ...Our fort is a ship.

Holli Whitney wrote: "Holli wrote: "Gonna go check it out! Hold down the fort while I'm gone. ;)"

LMFAO.

*drops down anchor* ...Our fort is a ship."

Alrighty Skipper, I have returned! That book looks good! Added it to my shelf! XD I guess our Epic plan is a fail. Someone beat us to the punch! :/

Paola LMAO this is just too funny :D

Holli Okay so I'm going to ask you over here so it doesn't look like I'm being nosey, but how did that girl get the green cover!? Is that the one that was being used on the ARC's before the cover reveal?

Paola Yea I was wondering about that also. Either she won a ARC or bought it off of Ebay from someone who had a advanced copy, thats all I can think of.

Holli But it looks like a hardcover, no?

Paola It says advanced readers copy and I noticed the people that have them all had paperbacks

Holli You've got good eyes! I didn't see the ARC on it! :))) I am stoked about them being shipped already. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight. :)

Paola I just asked her on her post lol

Holli OH DUR, now that I click on the picture and it comes into full view, I can clearly see the ARC not for sale! Don't I feel dumb! LOL

Paola <<< I asked her lol

Paola Yup I saw once some1 had a copy on ebay and the bid was at $100

Holli Holy Moly! I wouldn't sell Colleen's books for any amount of money! They are MINE! :D

« previous 1