Mad Scientist's Reviews > Legend

Legend by Marie Lu

Oct 05, 11

bookshelves: 2011, adventure, arc, signed, softcover, young-adult, series, fantasy-fiction
Read from September 21 to 29, 2011

Concoction of a Review:
Legend, is an action packed book set in future Los Angeles. The United States is not longer United... or better known as the Republic. The commander is cruel, lethal, and I would like to see where she fits into the story more with book two. I believe that if a country and it's government thinks they are amazing and doing right by all of their people I would have to say, "what is the catch?" I mean who doesn't love blackmail and corruption?!? *shakes head*

When the Republic is not busy being corrupt they are off at war with the Colonies.

The inky goodness here alternates between June & Day. I admit the Mad Scientist loved the gold lettering.

June:

A 15 year old prodigy who had a perfect score on her trial. (Futuristic SAT basically.) She is also a serious kick-butt chick. June is excellence at military activities such as expertly handling guns & scaling building in record time, nonetheless, she has a feminine wardrobe that made me envious of our little hero.

She was a rich thing but very humble about it. How could you not enjoy her?

Her life is tossed upside down when Metias, her brother was murdered. She was pulled out of university to fulfill her military duties... Including the capture of the Republics worse criminal ---> Day. She was happy to take this job knowing that she could not let Metias's killer walk around.

Day:

Day had the Mad Scientist from the very beginning. Poor, caring, blue eyes, and well, just too interesting to not enjoy reading about him. Darn my little heart swooned for him and felt sad when the worst was going on. Why Day? *tear*

He was from the poor area of the Republic where things just were not kind. Illegal fights, starvation and plague was to be had on these streets. Yet our handsome 15 year old endeared without carrying one of those ugly chips on his shoulders.

He was very found of his family even if they thought he wad dead. He tried to protect them in every way possible... one day it meant doing the most incredible thing!

Tess was a poor girl that he ended up befriending. She was a medical wonder as well strong yet vulnerable at the same time. I adored her greatly. Day protected her and she looked after him just the same.

The Clash:

June was wondering about in the poor sector doing undercover work, looking for the murderer. Just so happens everyone thinks it is Day. She ended up getting into an unfortunate predicament when protective Day swooped in and saved her even though she was a stranger. He fell for her and she.... You will just have to read to find out *wink wink*

From then on their lives are woven together. From opposite sides of society and trying to make it in the world.
-----

Overall, *Pops parasol* let me be honest here. Legend has scandal, murder & adventure. However, I did set this book down half way through for a day or two. I did not feel the desperate need to get back to it. Although, Day did bring me back. Curiousity will kill the Mad Scientist one day.

I also admit that I loved the second half of the book!! I'm so glad I did not forget to finish this one.

*Free ARC from BEA 2011 which did not impede on my Mad Review. It is completely honest and full of my thoughts on the book and the very persistent young man inside. *

4 Blasts

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legend.

09/24/2011 page 102

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mad Scientist (last edited Oct 05, 2011 11:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mad Scientist Stop by my blog to see who I think would make a good Day! *wink wink*