Penelope's Reviews > Blood

Blood by K.J. Wignall

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-books
Read in September, 2011, read count: 1

It took me a while to get through Blood; not because it is a long book but because I felt...well, if I am to be honest, I felt bored. When I finished reading, it was like I had been reading something that was much longer than it really was. It is pretty slow-paced, and there isn't a lot that happens until the last third of the book.

In the beginning, Will--the main character, who is a vampire--gives some great history and background about his past. I was fascinated by the details of his story. He definitely has a history spanning hundreds of years, and he doesn't act too modern (in language or actions) at all. He was literally an old mind in a teenager's body. While I read, I thought: Finally, a vampire who actually acts like he has been alive for centuries! But then it continued. Most of the book consists of Will's thoughts. Only Will's thoughts. There isn't a lot of conversation until later. This is, probably, because Will is alone for a lot of the book, so it couldn't really be helped. But after a while, I felt like I was having a history lesson of some sort, instead of reading a vampire story. This also kept me from getting to know any of the other characters. We see them through Will's eyes, and although he notices more in social situations than most people would, he relates so much of it to his past and how he was wronged, so that we didn't get to see much personality from any of the other characters.

Things did pick up though, and the story did get more interesting. Unfortunately, everything seemed to happen at the end of the book, and then it was over all too quickly. Everything seemed to fall into place in just a few chapters, and then it was over. I am at such a loss with this book. I enjoyed the beginning so much because of the great historical descriptions, and I felt sorry for Will and what he had gone through. But by the time it got to the exciting part, it was too little, too late. I wasn't invested in the characters, and I didn't much care what happened to them.

I have no idea who I would recommend it to. It reminds me a lot of The Historian; lots and lots of workup, with little of anything else happening until the end. And while I hate to make that connection (it is a completely different story), it is the closest thing I can compare it to. If you liked The Historian, you may like this book.

See the original review on my blog: The Reading Fever.

*I was provided with a copy of this review in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood.

Quotes Penelope Liked

K.J. Wignall
“The more that's known about the world, the more people seem determined to search for what is lost or hidden. There are archaeologists, treasure hunters, and ghost hunters--the legions of the curious--searching for secrets and the places that hold them. They ignore the possibility that some secrets are best kept, some places better left untouched....”
K.J. Wignall, Blood