Jennie's Reviews > Rainwater

Rainwater by Sandra Brown

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction, read-in-2011, read-in-december
Read from December 24 to 25, 2011

This story starts out in the present time, but quickly transports the reader back to the past – the Dust Bowl. I was so engrossed in the flashback that I forgot there was a present day storyline. When I hit the last few pages when time was transported to the now, I was stunned and confused. I had completely been lost in the time of Ella and Solly.

Speaking of Solly, I was fascinated by his character and the view of how Doctors and medicine handled autistic children in that era. Ella knew she needed to protect Solly, but also struggled with the demands of such care and oversight. I thought this entire storyline was fascinating and very well developed and written. I was possibly in love with Mr. Rainwater the moment he first stepped into Ella’s boarding house. My admiration continued to grow as he became more prominent in the story, and in the lives of all that he touched. His relationship with Solly was especially endearing.

This was a shorter book, but still an excellent story full of emotions and a glimpse into the past.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainwater.

12/25/2011 page 26