Susan Visser's Reviews > The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives

F_50x66
Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: audible
Read from September 21 to October 14, 2011

It was pretty hard going at the beginning, but I pushed on and am now really enjoying the book. The chapter I just finished, Chapter 9, was definitely my favourite in the book. This chapter is about how humans need to feel like they have control over certain aspects of their lives and if they don't, the stress is overwhelming and can be deadly.

Another point made in this chapter is our tendency to refuse to believe in randomness and to make our conclusions by reading what we want into the data or by drawing our boundaries.

The other thing I liked about the book is the way the author describes the lives of famous mathematicians. I have a math degree so knew most of the names, but I didn't know about their lives or about the importance of their discovery until this book. I also think I would have done better in my statistics classes if I had read this book in university! My son's listened to part of the book and really liked the examples that were given. I hope he'll listen to the rest of it so that he has a better grasp of mathematics than I did :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drunkard's Walk.

10/14/2011 "I'm on the final chapter... and will finish the book today."