Anna (Bobs Her Hair)'s Reviews > Song of Scarabaeus

Sep 23, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction, futuristic
Recommended for: Science Fiction fans
Read from September 22 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Song of Scarabaeus is an action-packed, science fiction book with a hint of romance. If you like Linnea Sinclair and Marcella Burnard then you'll like Sara Creasy. (Those are the only other sci/fi authors I have read btw. Well, there's Gini Koch but she's different.) This author does take her world-building up another level in sci/fi. I wish this book had a glossary because she introduces new terms in this futuristic world.

This book is also very smart and the world descriptively written. Sometimes, I felt as though it was too smart for me. There's quite of bit of technical material but if you are well-versed in computers and other technology it may come easier to you. Sara Creasy writes three-dimensional characters. They are not black and white. Some commit wrongs against others, display cowardice, show apathy and compassion, and then a few redeem themselves.

The first half of the book is taut with tension then the story seemed to slow down and pick up again. It does end with a cliffhanger so make sure you have the next book handy.

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote
"Oh, spare me that crap." Finn pushed her away. "You did what you did. That's the past. Maybe you can convince yourself you deserve to die here, but don't make me the victim of your guilty conscience." His eyes held more emotion than she'd ever thought him capable of. Fury, even hate, but above all a passion for life.

They faced off for breathless moments.

And then with the same passion brought firmly under control, he said, "Don't you let me die."
p. 268

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of Scarabaeus.

09/22/2011 page 159
45.0% "I tried to stay up as late as I could reading this. Sara Creasy does an astounding job with world building. Love Edie and Finn. Must get book 2 soon. I hear this one has a cliffie." 4 comments
09/22/2011 page 266
75.0% " Finn pushed her away. "Maybe you can convince yourself you deserve to die here, but don't make me the victim of your guilty conscience." His eyes held more emotion than she'd ever thought him capable of. Fury, even hate, but above all a passion for life.
They faced off for breathless moments.
p. 266"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by mrsj (new) - added it

mrsj ooh.. what do you think about this?

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Well...I won't get a chance to start this until the kids go to bed. Will keep you updated. It seems as though it will be a good book based on other reviews from GR friends. ;o)

new_user Oh, Finn. *_* She is so good at super fast pacing and morally ambiguous characters, don't you think? Better than an action movie (and that's high praise for me). More subtle.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Hey new_user! Yeah, I thought her writing was fast-faced and the characters were something you could sink your teeth into. So, where did Sara Creasy go? Anymore books coming? Is she a two book wonder? : /

new_user She's working on something called Incursion according to her site, yay! But it looks like she's not quite as speedy as other authors, which is understandable. As long as she keeps writing and keeps putting out good stuff.

message 6: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow I hadn't even heard of this book. It looks excellent. Great review!

new_user OMG, just reading that quote makes me want to read this again, LOL. Hopefully, her next book gets more press! She deserves it!

message 8: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow Alright, I just put this on hold at the library. :)

message 9: by new_user (last edited Mar 27, 2013 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

new_user Hope you like it, Willow! :) Let us know!

message 10: by Willow (new) - added it

Willow You bet! I'm so glad I caught the reviews. :)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Hey Willow! I'm pretty sure I caught this book because of new_user. I hope you enjoy! ;)