Terry's Reviews > The Memory of Love

119550
Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: first-reads
Read in October, 2011, read count: 1

This was a difficult book to review for me. I'm giving 4 stars for now, but plan on re-reading it again to give it a fair shot at the 5th star it probably deserves.

This novel about civil war in Sierra Leone, had a fascinating storyline, but it took awhile to really take off. I almost stopped reading it, but I'm very glad I stayed with it. I wanted to be drawn into the world of Sierra Leone, and Ms. Forna did not disappoint me. I did have an issue with caring about the characters, (except for Kai), as much as I thought I should.

Ms. Forna is an extremely talented author. She writes beautiful prose, and I loved the way she could turn a phrase. At times, mainly in the beginning, the story seems to drag. This is not an easy, quick read; you have to think, you have to pay attention and hang in there with it. But I believe in the end you'll be very glad you did.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free through Goodreads. (Thank you Grove/Atlantic Publishing for the opportunity to read this book). I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory of Love.