Rebecca's Reviews > Millions

Millions by Frank Cottrell Boyce

May 09, 08

bookshelves: audio, middle-grade, read2008
Read in May, 2008

So. Good. The "what if you found a million dollars" premise has the potential to be super cliche, but Boyce turns it into a sort of modern parable that's hilarious and quirky and honest and morally challenging. I have to say that I usually hate magical realism, but I totally bought it here... it brings the funniest and most poignant moments.

---

This is still "totally quality." I've said it before and I'll say it again. Audiobooks with British accents. Accept no substitutes.

And ooh - an audiobook within an audiobook! I've never come across that before.

---

Finally remembered to pick up another audiobook. I listened to the first 6 minutes on the way home and I was already laughing so hard there were tears. Definitely living up to Framed. Stop writing screenplays and write some more children's books, please, Mr. Boyce! (Or, I suppose I could just watch his movies...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Millions.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Rebecca Since I've already weighed in too many times for one review, I'll just tack this on as a comment. It just hit me today that the premise for this book, the pound switching over to the euro, isn't actually true! (In point of fact, I was talking to an English customer and almost corrected him when he started converting dollars to pounds. Heh.) And Framed has a similarly plausible but unlikely backstory. I love how Boyce slips these slightly alternate realities into his otherwise non-sci-fi writing.