Laura's Reviews > Life and Fate

Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

Sep 21, 2011

bookshelves: audio-books, hf-world-war-ii, russian-fiction, read-2011, fiction-20th-century
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie☯
Read from September 21 to 23, 2011

** spoiler alert ** From BBC Radio4 Extra:

Anna's Letter By Vasily Grossman Viktor's mother, Anna, writes him a farewell letter in September 1941. As a Jew in Berdichev, in the Ukraine now occupied by the Nazis, she has been forced into a ghetto and understands what will come next. The letter somehow finds its way to Viktor and is to be a source of strength for him in days to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life and Fate.

09/22/2011 "1/5. Janet Suzman stars in Vasily Grossman's epic tale of family and war in Soviet Russia."
09/22/2011 "2/5. In a forest in northern Russia, pilot Lenya longs to see his pregnant girlfriend Vera."
09/22/2011 "3/5. Even faithful Communists were sent to the Gulag, as Lyuda's ex-husband knows to his cost."
09/22/2011 "4/5. In a German field hospital, a young man struggles to make sense of the war."
09/23/2011 "5/5. As Krymov recovers from his head wound, he questions his own beliefs."

message 1: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 25, 2011 03:05AM) (new) - added it

Chrissie Could you tell me how well the characters are drawn? Aren't there numerous characters? Does the story really hold together? So why whould one read this since there are so many such books?! What makes it special in your opinion?

Sorry for all my questions..... Just tell me a bit of why you liked it please!

message 2: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Chrissie, this is the abridged version of this book. Perhaps Bettie has a better opinion since she is listening the whole episodes.

message 3: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Laura, are you kistening or reading. In any case you do like it alot right?

message 4: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I was listening and this book sounds to be quite interesting.

message 5: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Well, thank you.

message 6: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura sorry if I didn't help that much. Take a look at other reviews here at GR.

message 7: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie That's OK. No problem.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Could you tell me how well the characters are drawn? Aren't there numerous characters? Does the story really hold together? So why whould one read this since there are so many such books?! What mak..."

It has been awhile since I read this, Chrissie, but I was very happy with the book. Yes,the story DID hold together. It was excellent. I did do some looking backward to help my memory as a character would return after not being around for awhile. But, the total story becomes complete through the building up of several stories within the story. It is sooo good :)

message 9: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Christi, thanks for leaving this message. You answered what I needed to know.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Chrissie wrote: "Christi, thanks for leaving this message. You answered what I needed to know."

You are welcome :)