Amyiw's Reviews > Magic Bites

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Sep 22, 14

bookshelves: home-shelf, sent-send, x-2012, new-author, new-series, x-2014, 1-re-read
Read from September 23, 2011 to September 14, 2014

First read April 22, 2012

Complicated Urban Fantasy world where descriptions can get in the way and bog down the story. Still the story is solid and in the end, grips you and takes you for a ride.

The first 1/2 of the book was such a set up to the rest, explaining the world and characters and scenes, that I got bored and put the book down for a year. I had forgotten what I had read so had to start it from the beginning. This time I read through even though I had the same.... argh feeling 1/3 of the way through. Since I had so many of my friends push me to read it through, I stuck to it and am happy I did. The play between characters and the story becomes very interesting and even fun at some points. You start to real connect with Kate and her hard sarcastic and sometimes caustic personality. Still some of the scenes, even at the end, were too drawn out. I may have given it a 5 stars if not for these scenes that made me feeling like skimming, yet I knew I had to read through in case I might miss something important.

I will definitely read the next. This is Urban Fantasy/Paranormal, definitely not Paranormal Romance. It is up there with Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson but I like Briggs' way of telling the stories much more.

Re-read Sept 14, 2014
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Bites.