Russ's Reviews > The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer

551945
Sep 21, 2011

Read from September 21 to 24, 2011

A massive undertaking...1140 pages on the rise and fall of the Nazis. Can't say that I enjoyed it...in fact, some of it was a slog to get through...and some of it was almost impossible to read (details on the death camps and medical experiments made for a couple tough nights).

But it's an important book and one that I'm glad I finished. Self-admittedly, I didn't know that much about WWII. My dad served between WWII and the Korean War, so there was never a personal connection. All of my ancestors had gotten out of German 60+ years before...so I never knew much more than the basics we were all taught in high school.

Well worth reading, if only to understand the grand sweep of the rise and the quick decline. Perhaps least clear (maybe never to be known) is how a nation could have been swept up in the ravings of a madman like Hitler...so many standing by silently as more and more details of atrocities came to light. In some ways, that's the most important reason to read a book like this. As a reminder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.