Destinee Sutton's Reviews > Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy

Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer

Apr 20, 2016

bookshelves: audio, adventure, historical-fiction, british, teen, gender-roles, war
Read from January 03 to 20, 2011

Katherine Kellgren, I love you! K.K. has to be the greatest audio book narrator ever. Her accents are just right, the portrayals of the various characters are specific and memorable, and the sweet tones of her melodious voice charm the ear. After listening to quite a few of the books she has narrated, I'm ready to officially crown her Queen of the Audio Book.

So, about Bloody Jack. I loved it even though it was way, way darker and more mature than I anticipated. There's gruesome death, attempted rape, more gruesome death, murder, attempted murder, and lots of sexual situations. And yet it still manages to seem full of fun. I don't quite know who to recommend it to because it seems a little young for teens, but it's probably too much for most kids under 12. So I suppose its ideal reader is 13 or so and a fan of adventure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloody Jack.

01/03 page 30
9.0% "So far I've learned that the life of a homeless orphan in 18th C. London could be very gruesome and sad."
04/20 marked as: read