Tayler Morrell's Reviews > Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: english-420
Read in September, 2011

This is another fantasy YA by Cornelia Funke, however, it is geared towards a slightly younger audience than her Inkheart series.

This book is about how Firedrake (a dragon) and Sorrell (a brownie--mythical creature, not chocolate dessert) team up with human Ben and a few other unlikely characters to find the Rim of Heaven, supposedly a dragon haven, while at the same time, trying to avoid running into Nettlebrand, the Golden One.

The thing I love most about Funke's books is how easy she integrates fantasy and myth into Young Adult literature. It is not necessarily as "realistic" as other realistic fantasies, but that is ok because it allows us to keep dreaming big. But, Funke does try to incorporate magic and myth and how they would fit into modern day. It reminds me of the TV series, American Dragon. How mythical creatures deal with modern society.

The characters of her book are very loveable. Only a few, however, grow. In this book, Firedrake doesn't grow much, Sorrell stays the same, Ben is a reed of a character (goes with the flow of the story). Really the only character I saw growth from was the bad turned good Twigleg.

I would recommend this book to middle school/junior high. Or even as a bedtime story to younger if they are interested in fairy tales (even though it is 520 pages). It is an easy, fun, enjoyable read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon Rider.