Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs

Seeker of Knowledge by James Rumford

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: childrens, biography, history, non-fiction, picture-books, social-culture, gr-a, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Read on October 02, 2011

I’ve always loved Egyptian Hieroglyphs, and have read books about them and had (and given as gifts) kits with rubber stamps, and other hieroglyphs projects. Reading this book, I find it truly amazing that these symbols/this writing were able to be deciphered.

Throughout the book and on a page at the end, there are various hieroglyphs. Having them included was crucial for this book. The ones interspersed with the story did break up the story a bit, but it was worth it to have them there.

What’s wonderfully inspiring about this story is it’s about a real boy/man, who from an early age, had a dream and determination to decipher hieroglyphs. How he persisted and succeeded makes for a thrilling story, and quite a bit of general history information is given too.

Along with the hieroglyphs, the illustrations here contribute immeasurably to the book; I really enjoyed them.

It’s quite an amazing story, made all the more impressive given that somebody’s lifelong dream came true, with hard work and never giving up. It’s a good story for kids to read (or have read to them), for if they have dreams they might feel confidence in going after them, and if they don’t have dreams they might give thought to developing one or more for themselves. It’s a particularly good book for children who are fascinated with hieroglyphs and Egyptian history, history in general, writing and language.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeker of Knowledge.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "OK, I know I said I was trying to avoid adding new picture-books to my shelves, but... this one sounds good!"

I think you'd give it a 3, Abigail. So, yes, it's good, but not completely top-notch.

I'm cutting back on picture books too. Last week I read 3, and this week I have 5 at home, but I do have more reserved at the library.