Taylor's Reviews > The Stories of John Cheever

The Stories of John Cheever by John Cheever

Nov 03, 2014

bookshelves: fiction, to-reread, favorites, own, recommended, collections, awards-and-accolades
Recommended for: anyone who has ever lived in the suburbs or wanted to live in the suburbs
Read in August, 2002

No one captures the imperfections of suburban, white collar, white bread America like Cheever does. No one. Well, especially in the North. If O'Connor is the Queen of South Suburbia, Cheever is the King of North Suburbia.

"The Swimmer," of course, is his pièce de résistance in this collection, and with good reason - I've been in love with unreliable narrators since. "The Five-Forty-Eight" is another favorite of mine, as is "The Geometry of Love" (loved it so much it's where my AIM screen name comes from.)

Again, this is another collection I read when I was younger, so a lot of it skipped over me, but there was still lots for me to appreciate, and I look forward to getting back into it, especially now that I've shed my suburban skin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stories of John Cheever.