Lori K's Reviews > Bear, Otter, and the Kid

Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. Klune

Mar 02, 12

The book repeatedly plagiarizes the lyrics from the song "Come Home" written by Ryan Tedder in 2007.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bear, Otter, and the Kid.

09/25/2011
10.0% "It does kind of go on, doesn't it?" 8 comments

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How far are you?

Lori K Nearly half way and I've come to the spot where the author uses a verse from a One Republic song. Nowhere in the book does she credit the verse to the writer.

L-A-M-E and likely, plagiarism.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Surprising that the editor didn't catch it.

Lori K Maybe I'll alert Ryan Tedder. Think he will enjoy it or not? :)

Sagajo Yup, it was overly long... I still enjoyed it though.

message 6: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola lol....what how was the book?

message 7: by Lola (new) - added it

Lola I mean the book itself, was it good?

Lori K The book went on way too long and should have dropped a good 30% in editing. But none of that mattered after I realized that the author heisted another author's work.

message 9: by Hellen (new)

Hellen One star. Wow. You are a real fan.

Lori K I can't reward plagiarism.

message 11: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Did you read the credits? Maybe...

Lori K Yes I did and no mention of the actual writer. I also emailed Ryan Tedder. Hey! Maybe this TJ guy really IS Ryan Tedder?

By the way-This group is great in concert if you ever get a chance to see them.

Jaime OMG Lori, you make me laugh! Let us know what Ryan says.

message 14: by Hellen (new)

Hellen You emailed him? LMAO!! I doubt he writes gay novels...

What a mess.

Lori K I can't help it. I love One Republic. I've seen them so many times that I feel like they are mine.

listen to this one:

Jaime I love them too, they are amazing!!

Favourite song....I'm going with All Fall Down.

Lori K I really enjoy all their work. They've gotten a little commercial (with the Ralph Lauren ads) but no matter.

Jaime Lori K wrote: "I can't help it. I love One Republic. I've seen them so many times that I feel like they are mine.

listen to this one:

He has a hot body!!! I would let him do what ever he wanted to me(is he gay?).

message 19: by Hellen (new)

Hellen He's married.

Sadly, when the group/singer becomes famous they tend to get commercial, but if you're a true fan that doesn't really matter.

Lori K LOL, you looked to see if he was married? Too funny.

message 21: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Tsk, I knew it beforehand.

message 22: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher wow!!! Really Lori?
I just save the lyrics
of it and want to see where those words were used. It was really that? Copy and paste of this song? Like one character talking to another, and BAM, the words of the song?
I'm must read very carefully to find it because my english sort of sucks so much not always I see things like this... someone plagiarizing a song? I think I would never notice it, or would only it's a U2 song, because I know all :D

Lori K Really, the line, which the author repeats over and over, "the fight for you is all I've ever known" is pulled directly from the song as are other lines.

Loser...

message 24: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher :-(
sad if it's true
:-(
I mean if it's true such behave is unaccepted. I already got it (I bought it before your review) so I want to read it because I'm curious and want to search this parts copied from the song

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been meaning to comment on this thread for a while now...but resisted. At this point I no longer can keep silent on this issue.

Though plagiarism in some contexts is considered theft or stealing, it does not exist in a legal sense. "Plagiarism" is not mentioned in any current statute, either criminal or civil.

Plagiarism is not the same as copyright infringement. While both terms may apply to a particular act, they are different concepts. Copyright infringement is a violation of the rights of a copyright holder, when material restricted by copyright is used without consent.

The thing you people don't seem to realize is that when it comes to the letter and spirit of the law - CONTEXT is integral to whether you have a case or you do not. In this case Lori K and other haters don't have a leg to stand on. Sure, stealing a line and putting it into your own SONG is copyright infringement as pertains to the MUSIC INDUSTRY which is the domain in which the original work resides.

But using ONE LINE (once as is and two other times altered - THE SAME ONE LINE) in a literary work is not COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT. It would have been nice to credit the one line to One Republic (who I also love) but the fact is it wasn't absolutely required. Read some more mainstream books. See if these authors credit each and every reference to or about popular culture - NO they don't.

Therefore it is unfair to expect the same thing from T.J. Klune. If it bothers you so much maybe you should report it to the record label and the artists. See if they mind. If they don't then I really don't think YOU have any right to as the SONG IS THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and you have no right to MIND it's use on their behalf.

I mean really, if the issue was the "plagiarism" as you put it there was no need to trash the work/author as LAME.

You obviously have issues. I suggest you go back to being one of those fans who cross over to fanaticism and head back to trailing them and being a groupie. The way you sound might have One Republic more threatened by you as opposed to Klune.

Come good!

message 26: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Yeah, someone has issues.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Hellen wrote: "Yeah, someone has issues."

Good that you realize it, Helen. Always good when sufferers realize they need help. You people are pathetic.

message 28: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Ha!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Hellen wrote: "Ha!"

Demented laughter. Nice.

message 30: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Yeah.

Jaime "I really don't think YOU have any right to as the SONG IS THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and you have no right to MIND it's use on their behalf."

Really? So according to you, Lori has no right to voice her opinion because she didn't write the song or doesn't own it! You make no sense.

message 32: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Jaime wrote: " "I really don't think YOU have any right to as the SONG IS THEIR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY and you have no right to MIND it's use on their behalf."

Really? So according to you, Lori has no right to..."

Jaime, it's not worth it.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? So according to you, Lori has no right to..."

Take a breather and think. If I have a car. And It's MY CAR. And I decide to let certain people use it for certain reasons. You are a neighbor admiring my car and you take offense at their using it in a FAIR USE manner...

You would be the one with the issue if you go about bitching about it.

Fact is the publisher did realize where the words came from but knew it was okay to use them. Even when we write papers at University the "plagiarism" software has a cutoff point of 10% the length of the paper. Lori had to go halfway into the book before the first instance of "plagiarism".

If anyone makes no sense its you people. But then I'd expect that mentality from Lori supporters as the thought content of her original comment was idiotic to begin with.

Jaime WOW! Hellen you are right, it is truly not worth it!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Jaime wrote: "WOW! Hellen you are right, it is truly not worth it!"

Ain't it amazing how the only people who say that are people who have no cogent arguments to the contrary or are too cowardly to voice them?

message 36: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Jaime, we need help and are pathetic!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Hellen wrote: "Jaime, we need help and are pathetic!"

Clearly you do if you can't see logic, feel like you own some other entity and speak for them and even go so far as to check their marital status (as if you had a chance with them anyway).

message 38: by Vio (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vio Can I just say I was hoping for an actual review of the book and not an attack on the author!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Vio wrote: "Can I just say I was hoping for an actual review of the book and not an attack on the author!"

Yes, I second that. Last I checked Goodreads was about promoting reading. Not music. Talk about off topic. If you have Copyright Infringement issues, take it up with the relevant authorities if you THINK you have a sound basis.

Deeze Lori K wrote: "Really, the line, which the author repeats over and over, "the fight for you is all I've ever known" is pulled directly from the song as are other lines.

Loser..."

I'm still struggling to find the other lines. Can someone point them out? And is 3 times (thats counting the 2 times the word "is" changed to "was" so technically its not the same line) really regarded as repeated over and over?

I gotta agree though that this is a Book review site not a lets publicise my favorite band site. Was the youtube link really needed?

Jaime I think it's really funny that Lori was voicing her opinion about the book but according to Allota she has no right to do that, but Allota has a right to call her an idiot!!!!

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 30, 2011 03:30PM) (new)

Jaime wrote: "I think it's really funny that Lori was voicing her opinion about the book but according to Allota she has no right to do that, but Allota has a right to call her an idiot!!!!"

Wow, you really do love having the last word, even when you make no sense. She wasn't voicing opinion of the BOOK per se further than saying it needed to be cut 30%. The BULK of the content here is about so called plagiarism and how the author is LAME for it.

She calls TJ Klune LAME...I call her an idiot. Ain't it nice when people make such comments? :)

Lori K Stealing is stealing. Very simple.

message 44: by Vio (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vio Lori K wrote: "Stealing is stealing. Very simple."

Stealing really?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Lori K wrote: "Stealing is stealing. Very simple."

Stealing? Please elaborate. What YOU think constitutes stealing is not applicable. Artists are well aware of the rights THEY and THE PUBLIC have when they put their work out there.

Maybe you need to do some research. You clearly don't get it. Please tell me, did Mr. Tedder express OUTRAGE and threaten legal action?

*Rolling action*

Stop acting like someone trying to steal YOUR man.

Deeze Yes but stealing what exactly. Apart from the one line thats used 3 times, twice with a minor word change, what other lines are used?

Jaime I make no sense, no honey that would be you!!

Please enlighten us on how one should voice an opinion and review a book!

You did not like Lori's opinion on the book so you attacked her...plain and simple(does that make sense).

message 48: by Vio (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vio Jaime wrote: "I make no sense, no honey that would be you!!

Please enlighten us on how one should voice an opinion and review a book!

You did not like Lori's opinion on the book so you attacked her...plain..."

Excuse me what opinion was that? There is no review of the book here!

message 49: by Hellen (new)

Hellen Oh please, how can we discuss when someone is calling her an idiot?

message 50: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 30, 2011 03:39PM) (new)

Jaime wrote: "I make no sense, no honey that would be you!!

Please enlighten us on how one should voice an opinion and review a book!

You did not like Lori's opinion on the book so you attacked her...plain..."

I can see I'm going to have to descend to your mental level.

I dunno spend more time talking about:

1) Characterization
2) Plot
3) Story Progression
4) Likes
5) Dislikes
6) What could have been improved and how
7) Misc others...

Instead of all the other crap about ooooooooh GREAT BAND> I FEEL LIKE THEY MINE > WAAAH! HE MARRIED!

I'm actually laughing at the idiocy of you people. This in psychiatry is what we call LACK OF INSIGHT. You're like a patient who is sick and doesn't even realize it.

« previous 1 3 4 5