Sherrie Petersen's Reviews > May B.

May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

3208051
Sep 21, 11

Read in September, 2011

May B is an unlikely hero: a 12-year-old girl with a learning disability, fending for herself during a harsh prairie winter. In the wrong hands, the story could tend toward melodrama. Or it could just plain be boring. Fortunately, this story is neither.

May's story unfolds in verse. The style works well in this book, emphasizing the stark prairie and the simplicity of of May's every day existence. Author Caroline Starr Rose manages to weave in plenty of historical details, adding another rich layer to the story without bogging down any of the action.

While historical fiction might be a hard sell for some young readers, telling the story in verse makes it a quick read. Reminiscent of the Little House books, without the heft, May B is a wonderful debut from a gifted author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May B..

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elizabeth My eight year old daughter recommended this one to me. She really liked it. I think she particularly liked the style it was written in as she hasn't read many other books in verse.

message 2: by Sherrie (new) - added it

Sherrie Petersen My daughter fell in love with this book at the same age. The other verse novel she adored was Love That Dog by Sharon Creech. She must have read it at least ten times :)

Elizabeth Yes! My daughter read hate that cat! She still wants to read live that dog.