Patrick McCoy's Reviews > Shakespeare Wrote for Money

Shakespeare Wrote for Money by Nick Hornby

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: criticism, essays

Shakespeare Wrote for Money is the third installment of collections of Nick Hornby’s entertaining column, “What I’m Reading”, for The Believer magazine. Sadly, it is also his last; he has given up the column. I find the editorial policy of The Believer that won’t allow Hornby to talk about books he doesn’t like a bit off putting, but the concept of celebrating good books isn’t such a bad idea really. I have to say that I have been inspired to read dozens of great books by Hornby over the years and this collection is no different some of the titles I look forward to read include: A Disorder Peculiar to the Country by Ken Klafus, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning by Jonathan Mahler, Ironweed by William Kennedy, Naples ’44 by Norman Lewis, On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan, The Blind Side by Michael Lewis, Coming Through Slaughter Michael Ondaaje, Stasiland: Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall by Anna Funder, The Secret History by Donna Tart, Gomorrah: Italy’s Other Mafia by Robert Saviano.

And now my usual homage to Hornby with my list of books bought and book read:

Books bought: Shakespeare Wrote for Money by Nick Hornby, Bangladesh Lonely Planet Guidebook, Glamorama by Bret Eason Ellis, Our Story Begins Tobias Wolff, Unaccustomed Earth Jhumpa Lahiri, Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson.

Books read: (Reading) Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45 by Max Hastings, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Shakespeare Wrote for Money by Nick Hornby, The Sociopath Next Door by Martha Stout.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shakespeare Wrote for Money.