Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker (Oh My Shelves)'s Reviews > Nightborn

Nightborn by Lynn Viehl

Mar 08, 12

bookshelves: vampires, urban-fantasy, paranormal-romance
Read on March 07, 2012

I have been waiting for this story for a long time. In this return to the Darkyn world, King Richard Tremayne sends his seneschal Korvel to retrieve the Scroll of Falkonera. This scroll is a priceless treasure because it supposedly contains details on how to make an exilir that will grant immortality to a mortal.
When he arrives to the destination, he finds the place under attack and rescues a young “nun” named Simone Derien. Together, they set out to retrieve the stolen scroll, with each party having their own directives on what to do once the scroll has been recovered.

When King Richard loses contact with Korvel, he dispatches Gabriel Seran to rescue Korvel. That automatically includes Nicola Jefferson, Gabe’s sykgenis (life companion--see Night Lost), a holy relic recovery expert. We see here that Nic is still struggling with her identity as kyn. She is still recovering from being tortured by a kyn, whereas Gab is still recovering from being tortured by humans. I was disappointed in that she still seemed self absorbed and secretive as I remember. She wasn’t one of my favorite heroines. But I do always enjoy her sarcastic retorts regarding Richard Tremayne.

This book revealed the formation of the obligation and service of Korvel as a seneschal to Richard. It also reveals Korvel’s upbringing as well as Simone’s. They were quite turbulent, so perhaps that is why they bonded so well together. Korvel and Simone’s relationship reminded me a lot of Valentin & Lily’s relationship in Twilight Fall because it seemed the skeletons in Simone’s closet were endless. Once you get a grip on one secret, another revelation occurred, including the relationship between the heroine and the antagonist. Korvel and Simone deserved a chance to be happy after years of being pawns in different people’s schemes. So I was pleased with the ending of this novel.

I wasn’t pleased with Alex Keller showing up to help Korvel with no backup given their prior history. I expected Michael or Phillipe to come with her, just in case something was amiss. I also expected Korvel to be more apologetic to Alex especially now that he has found love, he would be more aware of what he tried to take from Alex. It just seemed odd that Michael didn’t send protection with Alex.

This novel was classic Lynn Viehl. If you have read and enjoyed her previous Darkyn & Kindred novels, then you know what to expect because it is the same formula. Lots of action, a lot of twists and turns, some sex scenes, but ultimately, a satisfying ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightborn.

03/07/2012 page 23
7.0% 4 comments
03/07/2012 page 158
47.0% "You live in a convent...you wear nun's graments and pray with a rosary, and do good works...What the bloody hell was I supposed to think you were? An exotic dancer?""

dateDown_arrow    newest »