Jonathan's Reviews > Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity

Getting Things Done by David Allen

M_50x66
Sep 21, 11

Read in September, 2011

I started this a number of times - always with the hope of finally getting organized. This time I got it Done! Really part of the issue is one's desire for control. "I want to be FREE! Not a slave to a system!" But this system provides freedom. I know that as I implement the dreaded system and actually follow the recomendations for daily and weekly review, I feel more comforable that all the crap in my head has been captured, organized and is in process. Ah, THAT is freedom.

Now onward and upward. Continue the implementation, ONE-DAY-AT-A-TIME. If I fall off, get back on track. To be truthful, my "inbox" still has stuff in it from weeks ago, but I know that as I go down the stack, I can actually deal with all the current stuff and some of the old stuff. I feel I am gaining control. My electronic inbox is down from 4,500 entries to under 1,000! Still unreal for many people but "progress, not perfection" is my motto. By the end of the week it should be only current items (and less than 30 at that)!

My daily "ToDo" list (ncluding My Master Control - project next steps)is now only 1 page, and that gets completed with daily! My WIP (Work In Process or Project) files are all on my credenza, easily accessible. My notepad is next to the phone, with a pen on it. My Tickler Files are in my desk drawer (reviewed daily - still Painful!)

The bottom line is that this is a good (possibly great) system, IF IT IS USED AND TRUSTED. That takes time.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getting Things Done.