Stacy's Reviews > The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had

F_50x66
Sep 28, 11

bookshelves: childrens-fiction, beehive-award
Read from September 21 to 27, 2011

I am always little conflicted when reviewing children's books. I generally have two opinions: my adult response and my "what-I-think-kids-will-think" response.

For children, the author very successfully presented the topic of race relations. The language was concise, accessible, and the story intriguing. The main character, Dit, was well developed. I liked that he didn't always make the right choice. I think kids will really respond to him and injustice presented in the plot.

On the flip (and adult-reader) side, I couldn't help but think the author had simply presented me with a very watered down, and sugar coated variation of "To Kill a Mockingbird". The general ideas where fairly unoriginal, the main antagonist was completely one-dimensional, and the plot required a little too much suspension of disbelief for my taste. Call me a pessimist, but let's face it, they wouldn't have pulled it off.

So my verdict is: I don't know. I didn't love it. But I think kids will. Since it was written for children, perhaps that makes it a success.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had.