Keshena's Reviews > A Proper Education for Girls

A Proper Education for Girls by Elaine di Rollo

Dec 17, 14

bookshelves: this-is-what-makes-us-girls
Read in September, 2011

What a pity that I found this gem for sale in a Dollar Tree! It struck me as the sort of thing that would be on every suburban soccer mom book club reading list, and receive tons of promotion, a'la The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield(anyone else remember that one?).In any case, this vibrant, confidently told tale has all the mythic whimsy of the best magical realism novels, while making aggressively concise points about female oppression in the Victorian era in a manner that would do Sarah Waters proud. I couldn't put it down, and i'll never forget it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Proper Education for Girls.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita I also bought this book at the Dollar Tree! That was a nice point you made about magical realism. I'mlooking forward to seeing what her next books are like.

Keshena Thanks for commenting on my review! If you like magical realism with a nice equilibrium of gravitas and whimsy, you should read The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende!

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita You're welcome and thanks for the recommendation. I've just begun to read a few books of the magical realism style and I've enjoyed them. Have you ever read any of Sarah Addison Allen's books? They're all a lot of fun to read.
I've enjoyed fantasy books for years but it's reached the point where everything is too "overdone" and it's all the time. Magic workers always have huge magics and never small talents, shape shifters and etc. never seem to have limitations and so on. It's nice to get back to books where the author's main goal was to write a really good story about characters that are well enough crafted that they feel real in the story.

Keshena Anita wrote: "You're welcome and thanks for the recommendation. I've just begun to read a few books of the magical realism style and I've enjoyed them. Have you ever read any of Sarah Addison Allen's books? They..."

Sorry I didn't see your message until now-hi!