Sarah's Reviews > Independence Hall

Independence Hall by Roland Smith

Mar 04, 2015

bookshelves: mystery, spine-tinglers, young-adult
Read from November 14 to 16, 2011

I believe that Roland Smith is one of the most underappreciated YA writers out there. Why? One reason is because I had never heard of this novel until it was nominated for Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults Adventure list. And I should have! I read Peak back in March and enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to the first book in this series, even though I didn't like the young boy picture on the front cover. In the book, Q is 13 and his new step-sister is 15, so I'm not sure why the boy on the cover looks to be about 8. That's a real detriment to potential readers.

Q and Angela become step-siblings at the beginning of this book and also go on tour with their rock-singing parents. As if that's not fantastic enough, Angela's real mom was a secret service agent who was killed in action a few years before. And that's where the adventure begins. The siblings are thrust into a world of espionage, Israeli terrorists, politics, secrets, and violence. I really enjoyed the non-stop action and appreciated the plot twists that were simple enough for kids to understand, but complicated enough to hold my interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Independence Hall.

11/15/2011 "I'm LOVING this book!" 2 comments

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Roys When I come across a sucky cover, I have the art kids create me a new one then I use contact paper and put it over the old. They are usually so much better. One teacher has that as one of her assignments - create an alternate cover that captures the essense of the book. The reviews they are writing are going on the flaps when I find time. Cheers!