Heidi's Reviews > The Good That Men Do

The Good That Men Do by Andy Mangels

Mar 01, 12

bookshelves: owned, cartonia, reviewed, star-trek
Recommended for: die-hard Enterprise and Tucker fans only
Read from October 15 to 31, 2011

As a huge fan of Enterprise, I felt insulted by the last episode that didn't only kill off my favourite character in a way that nearly made me cry; it also focused on two characters from another Star Trek series, Riker and Troi from TNG, assuming everyone knows them. That's just disrespectful to both the fans of Enterprise as well as the characters and their respective actors.

Guess what? The authors of The Good That Men Do did exactly the same thing with Jake Sisko and Nog from DS9, fortunately to a much lesser extent, but enough to make me groan.

While I appreciate the basic notion behind the story, its execution was rather poor. The characters felt wrong, the plot contrived, often unnecessarily melodramatic and ultimately dissatisfying (if we can milk the cow any further, why give it a proper ending?), and the writing style was mediocre at best.

I don't regret having read it, but it could have been done so much better, with more respect for the characters and the fans' desire for closure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good That Men Do.