Nathalie Vassallo's Reviews > Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with Scissors.

Quotes Nathalie Liked

Augusten Burroughs
“I told myself, 'All I want is a normal life'. But was that true? I wasn't so sure. Because there was a part of me that enjoyed hating school, and the drama of not going, the potential consequences whatever they were. I was intrigued by the unknown. I was even slightly thrilled that my mother was such a mess. Had I become addicted to crisis? I traced my finger along the windowsill. 'Want something normal, want something normal, want something normal', I told myself.”

Augusten Burroughs
“I know exactly how that is. To love somebody who doesn’t deserve it. Because they are all you have. Because any attention is better than no attention. For exactly the same reason, it is sometimes satisfying to cut yourself and bleed. On those gray days where eight in the morning looks no different from noon and nothing has happened and nothing is going to happen and you are washing a glass in the sink and it breaks-accidentally-and punctures your skin. And then there is this shocking red, the brightest thing in the day, so vibrant it buzzes, this blood of yours. That is okay sometimes because at least you know you’re alive.”

Augusten Burroughs
“The line between normal and crazy seemed impossibly thin. A person would have to be an expert tightrope walker in order not to fall.”