VampireNovelFan's Reviews > Hunt the Moon

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, vampires, paranormal-romance
Read from September 21 to 26, 2011

Small series rant

More like 3.5, but cliffhangers are lame, this triangle sucks even more (as if it didn't before, especially dancing around the same freakin' issues), and I didn't like all of the abrupt plot changes, so...

When it comes to this triangle, after 5 books I officially declare that I am not "Team Pritkin" or "Team Mircea". Cassie ruins both for me. I’m not sure if others aren’t quite bothered because as far as Pritkin’s concerned it’s a matter of “when” they get together, not “if,” so pretty much anything Karen Chance throws in there in the meantime means nothing. But that just doesn’t jive with me. I don’t support either ship enough to validate essentially making Cassie…kind of a hoe. Not really sure what else you can call it. Cassie doesn’t really think on it much herself, be it before or after which is even more stupid.

I’m also not a huge fan of the pace. It’s super fast and a lot of the action is really difficult to get into. I have taken a liking to her body guard, Marco. Sometimes you just feel bad for the guy since he’s pretty much responsible for Cassie and she’s always off nearly getting herself killed. No, she can’t sit tight and look pretty, but there’s got to be a middle ground. Neither side is wrong per se.

I was strongly considering the Dorina Basarab series, but I hear that it’s just as fast-paced and on-the-go as Cassie Palmer. A better lead female (at least for me because I’m not a Cassie fan at all) and no stupid “triangle” would be a plus, but the pacing usually exhausts me and I just READ the stuff so I’m not sure if I want to get to that right away. And while we're on that subject, I find it fairly dumb that Cassie still doesn't know who Dorina is. We as readers know only because it's a spin-off series, and yet Cassie's still oblivious after 3 years, 3 Cassie Palmer books, and 2 Dorina books... What gives?

Not sure if I will keep up with this series or not. I may read a couple of spoilers first. I would wait until couple of books are out, but I suspect that too much Cassie at once is more irritating than one every year, so I'm at a loss... We'll just see how I feel in 2012. I mostly want to see what happens to Pritkin (as a character, not a love interest though I predict she'll end up with him), but since Book 6 won't be the final book I can expect the same song and dance, dragging it all out.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunt the Moon.

09/21/2011
10.0% "Back in Cassie Palmer mode. Yeah, I'm definitely a Marco fan now." 11 comments
09/21/2011
31.0% "Was totally planning to stop at 30%, but then the limo happened..."Despite appearances, I was trying, really trying to have a relationship with Mircea, not just to jump his bones every time we had five minutes alone together." - BINGO!"
09/22/2011
45.0% "W00T for train delays! Means more reading time. Anyway, I'm glad she at least got some quality screen time with Mircea again. Of course, now Pritkin's back with a fugly boo-boo oh and some fun mythology thrown into the mix. I know next to nothing about this stuff save for seeing the Thor movie recently, haha. It was good stuff."
09/22/2011
55.0% ""Marco had told me that hydrogen peroxide wasn'te a good idea in deep cuts. Apparently it could cause bubbles to form in the bloodstream that would kill you a lot faster than wahtever had caused the cut in the first place." - The more you know!"
09/22/2011
55.0% "Pritkin picking up Cassie in tha flying car reminds me of Aladdin picking up Jasmine with the magic carpet. "A Whole New Woooorld!""
09/22/2011
65.0% "Action sequence was boring. And now pritkin is a mess and her attempt at "healing" is a bit awkward for me what with an AUDIENCE and all...and now rosier's here. We will see what happens there... at my car's dealership waiting for an oil change. To read or not to read..." 1 comment
09/24/2011
68.0% "Cassie's rationalizations make me want to throw my kindle across the room. All I can say is after 5 books back to back of her stupidity, I'm ready to be done now... She regularly gets sexual with both but "yeah, I didn't really think about it. I was only screwing Mircea before hand, but that didn't mean we were together so that other "emergency" with Pritkin didn't count..." I can't handle this until the series end."
09/25/2011
80.0% "Okay, it got a little better when it was pretty much all focusing on Pritkin and his past. I definitely would like this series more sans Cassie... And seriously why is it taking 3 books to talk to Mircea? It rehashes the same stuff over and over again with no real movement on that front." 2 comments
09/26/2011
88.0% "Oi. Very hard to put the book down right now. Looks like I can try to finish this over lunch."
09/26/2011
95.0% "ARGH!! I can't read fast enough!!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by jD (new) - added it

jD I have pretty much decided that I will pick another one up when Cassie hooks up with Pritkin LoL. It's reviews like this and a cliffhanger that have kept this one on hold for me. Thanks for the honesty. You hit all the points that matter to me.

message 2: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Sep 27, 2011 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

VampireNovelFan No problem. Though to be honest, I don't see how Pritkin fans would be disappointed. I am not "Team Pritkin" or "Team Mircea". Cassie ruins both for me, lol. As I say in my blog (I think I will edit the review to add a couple paragraphs from there):

I’m not sure if others aren’t quite bothered because as far as Pritkin’s concerned, it’s a matter of “when” they get together, not “if,” so pretty much anything Karen Chance throws in there in the meantime means nothing. But that just doesn’t jive with me. I don’t support either ship enough to validate essentially making Cassie…kind of a hoe. Not really sure what else you can call it. Cassie doesn’t really think on it much herself, be it before or after which is even more stupid.

message 3: by jD (new) - added it

jD I can't remember where that last book left off but it seemed Cassie (a selective hoe) was not trying to give Pritkin any play. She acts like an equal opportunity victim of love so I don't get why she is feeding Pritkin with a longhandled spoon. LoL

message 4: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Sep 27, 2011 08:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

VampireNovelFan LOL! For me, since Book 3 I think it's been fairly obvious. Pritkin gets the most screen time save for Cassie herself, meaning they are always together and have more opportunity to build a dynamic and interesting relationship. Mircea's usually conveniently out of the picture and giving orders from afar, and she doesn't really put her foot down and talk to him and instead they just end up screwing. It's really no contest which is what annoys me most. In Book 3 I could see the Cassie/Pritkin maybe 10 feet away, and then by book 4 it was 10,000 feet away, lol. And then Book 5...yeah let's just say it's even more feet, rofl. Book 4's "Emergency" pretty much sealed it for me though, where she cheats on Mircea and practically thinks nothing of it save for maybe 2 lines...'cuz it's an "Emergency" and all. As if the author was backed into a corner and couldn't use ANY other option except sex *eye roll*. Yes, total victim that Cassie.

message 5: by jD (new) - added it

jD I don't recall "emergency" sex in book 4. Who did she sleep with?

Tiki I enjoyed this review and comments....smiling as I read them, because I really like this series!  Very much.  But, I read it totally for entertainment.  If I were to really analyze it, I know we'd line up on many points, especially some of the relationship issues.  So I just keep my thoughts nice and shallow, and enjoy the fast pace, characters, humor and yes the triangle too!  It's always fun & never boring!  ;-))

Sent from my iPad

VampireNovelFan jD wrote: "I don't recall "emergency" sex in book 4. Who did she sleep with?"

Pritkin. Oral sex is still sex, imo. At least, it was enough sex to work. Sorry I missed this btw. Didn't get the notification.

@Tiki: Yeah, sometimes that's easier to do for some series than others for me, haha. For some reason it's just not as easy here to overlook for me here. But who knows, maybe later I'll adjust. I liked A Family Affair with Pritkin a lot and totally wish this series was from his perspective. I'd actually even like him with Cassie more probably.

message 8: by jD (new) - added it

jD @Tiki. Books are just like movies for me. I can't help but think sometimes that the plot went off course or that a lover was mis-cast. Things like that. I try to read for entertainment but I just can't cut off that Academy Award category voice. LoL

VampireNovelFan jD wrote: "@Tiki. Books are just like movies for me. I can't help but think sometimes that the plot went off course or that a lover was mis-cast. Things like that. I try to read for entertainment but I ju..."

I'm sort of like that but for me it depends on how serious the movie takes itself. Like, I can enjoy Snakes on a Plane for what it is without expectations of it being on the level Terminator 2 or some other epic action/adventure.

message 10: by Tiki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tiki I'm easily entertained! Just ask my husband!! ;-). But I will admit there are times I'm annoyed and take issue with characters. (ie- my recent rant/review of 'Spider's Revenge'). And I totally agree, I'd love to have this series from Pritkin's POV. He's by far the most interesting...living a life as a Mage while hiding he's actually demon/incubus, and in a time long past was the most famous of wizards, Merlin!! Tough, very smart, and IMO...Hot!! Total package....let's just keep him and get rid of everyone else! ;-))

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Tiki wrote: "I'm easily entertained! Just ask my husband!! ;-). But I will admit there are times I'm annoyed and take issue with characters. (ie- my recent rant/review of 'Spider's Revenge'). And I totally agr..."
See now I'm not that thrilled with the idea of yet another "merlin' relived. I've read too many of those!

message 12: by Tiki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tiki Maria wrote: "Tiki wrote: "I'm easily entertained! Just ask my husband!! ;-). But I will admit there are times I'm annoyed and take issue with characters. (ie- my recent rant/review of 'Spider's Revenge'). And ..."

Told ya', I'm easy! I just like Pritkin...no matter who he once was!

VampireNovelFan When the series first started I was really intrigued by the idea of her writing about Dracula's brother, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. I expected him to be more interesting.

message 14: by Cami (new) - added it

Cami B You might enjoy the Dorina series. I like it much better than this one.

VampireNovelFan Cami wrote: "You might enjoy the Dorina series. I like it much better than this one."
Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. I will give that one a try as well. I enjoy Pritkin's character so I will probably keep reading for him, but everything else is meh for me.

message 16: by Cami (new) - added it

Cami B VampireNovelFan wrote: "Cami wrote: "You might enjoy the Dorina series. I like it much better than this one."

Completely agree!

Ithlilian I gave up on the Dorina series part way into book one. That's just me though...

VampireNovelFan Majority seem to like it better, but I guess I will see!

Ithlilian I most definitely disagree with the majority the majority of the time :)

message 20: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 24, 2011 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

VampireNovelFan LOL. It's refreshing to get a different perspective on things though. I don't always go with the majority myself.

Ithlilian Most recently I liked Brush of Darkness and not everyone is a fan. I also LOVE Empress by Karen Miller...definitely in the minority there :D

I try to be on the light and funny side in my reviews so no angry fans hunt me down.

VampireNovelFan LOL. Yeah, fandom can be scary sometimes.