Jennifer's Reviews > Diamond Eyes

Diamond Eyes by A.A. Bell

Sep 23, 11

Read from September 21 to 23, 2011

I picked up this book because it was written by a SE Queensland author, has won awards, and was rated so highly on Goodreads. But I have to tell you that reading it was not a very enjoyable experience for me. The narrative is somehow dense to read and I really felt I was wading through treacle quite a lot as I was reading.

The first couple of times I picked it up it was late at night and I found that it seemed to make no sense at all to me. Perhaps I was tired. Still, even when awake, the difficult, disjointed writing style had me knitting my brows much of the time, and sent me off to sleep quite early on a number of occasions.

It's difficult to work out why the narrative lacked so much momentum for me. I felt the plot was convoluted in some parts, and predictable in others, and in general pretty unbelievable, and the introduction of characters was particularly poorly executed, hence the difficulty in starting the book. Once the characters were mostly known and the plot was just developing things got a bit easier, but I tended to be overly suspicious of new characters because I didn't feel I had a good enough of a handle on them, or why they acted in the way they did. Bell is not big on explanations of motivations. I wouldn't call her an articulate author, really.
Well, I guess that's just me, given all those recommendations and awards, but I certainly don't feel like recommending it to anyone, particularly the YA readers in my school library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diamond Eyes.