Black Elephants's Reviews > House of Prayer No. 2: A Writer's Journey Home

2044409
Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from September 24 to October 07, 2011

I'd heard wonderful things about this memoir from several people, and I really looked forward to reading it. It's the story of the author from childhood to present. It talks about how he grew up in the South, dealt with hip surgery and all the complications it entailed, how he had a wild life, how he got involved in writing and how the spirit came upon him.

I felt like I read this book in chunks. I found the beginning 70 pages or so to be very interesting. Then the second POV, which the book is written in, started to clot up the flow of the reading experience for me. Then I put it down and didn't pick it back up till yesterday. I zipped through it, especially once the author's writerly career started up.

Generally, the second POV is supposed to bring the reader in closer to the action. I had the opposite reaction. I thought it put the glass more firmly between myself and the plot, like an aquarium.

So was it successful? I don't know. I think the reason the sections I found interesting were interesting was because I felt like the second POV was the author talking to me instead of using the second POV just for the sake of YOU, YOU, YOU.

Interesting read? Most definitely. Also, I didn't think the faith and spiritual overtones jumped out until the end, and in some ways, I wish they had been around sooner. The author's relationship with House of Prayer No. 2 is fascinating. In fact, after I finished reading, I spent some time surfing the net just to learn more about it. But I guess that aso makes the book a success because I wanted to remain in its world even after I had finished reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Prayer No. 2.